Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noumena12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
I followed the instructions at the iPod Touch support site. I have iTunes 9.2 installed, I check for updates and it tells me that I have the latest version 3.1.3. Why can't I get iOS4? There are apps that I want to use! Apple wants to charge me $29 for me to ask them the question.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
I followed the instructions at the iPod Touch support site. I have iTunes 9.2 installed, I check for updates and it tells me that I have the latest version 3.1.3. Why can't I get iOS4? There are apps that I want to use! Apple wants to charge me $29 for me to ask them the question.

Have you tried just downloading it off the Apple site?

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006

Which version of iPod touch do you have?

(Settings > General > About > Model Number)

noumena12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
That it is a second-generation meaning you should be able to update.

Can you try downloading the firmware directly and pressing the ALT button when you click the update button in iTunes?

I just get the same message. The ALT button didn't seem to make a difference to the behavior.

noumena12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
You didn't download the firmware onto your computer - use this link to find the firmware of your device and download it to your computer:

http://gizmodo.com/5568558/download-iphone-ios4-now

Well, that was fun. Had to download it twice because the IE downloaded file wasn't recognized. The same file downloaded via firefox was fine. However, when I went to update (BTW: it is the SHIFT key not the ALT key that forces the update), I get a message saying that the firmware file is not compatible. *sigh*

My husbands ipod was stolen last week so he went out an bought a used iPod Touch and he is already up and running.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Well, that was fun. Had to download it twice because the IE downloaded file wasn't recognized. The same file downloaded via firefox was fine. However, when I went to update (BTW: it is the SHIFT key not the ALT key that forces the update), I get a message saying that the firmware file is not compatible. *sigh*

My husbands ipod was stolen last week so he went out an bought a used iPod Touch and he is already up and running.

Firefox FTW!!!

You wont get most of the good stuff anyway. :(

iMac0765

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Better you stay with 3.1.3 because iOS 4 for Touch 2G is a painful mess. What I mean is, you get only 10% of the new features, and, it drains the battery more than watching video all day...

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA

If it says its incompatible, you downloaded the wrong firmware file.

Sorry, I thought you were on Mac, but turns out you're on Windows.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Weve already confirmed it was second gen, at least i think we have.

OP, iOS4 isnt really a big deal; you wont get most of the benefits from it anyway.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
The 8GB and 16GB 1st gen released in 2007 were MA models, the 32Gb 1st gen released in 2008 was MB376LL.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
Model: MB376LL

What does that tell me?

That it is a second-generation meaning you should be able to update.

Can you try downloading the firmware directly and pressing the ALT button when you click the update button in iTunes?

The 8GB and 16GB 1st gen released in 2007 were MA models, the 32Gb 1st gen released in 2008 was MB376LL.

...:mad: @ :apple: for releasing that 32Gb model so close to the 16Gb model when they said it was going to be at least a year before they did that...:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.