Help wich one between theese two?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeanvigo, Feb 4, 2017.

1. jeanvigo macrumors newbie

jeanvigo

Hi guys
    I had my mbp stolen and I have to buy a new one, I do not want to get the very new one I hate that they don't have a usb port.I am a video maker, I would use it mainly with Finalcut pro x , adobe premiere, after effects and stuff like that. I am in two minds between these two models:
    Apple MacBook Pro 2.8ghz 2.8 GHz 15.4" mjlu 2 i7 16gb RAM 1tb Retina 2015

Apple MacBook Pro 2,8 GHz 2,8 GHZ 15,4 "mgxg2 i7 16GB Ram 1tb Retina 2014

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I think you'd like the extra speed of the dGPU on the new MBP a lot more than you'd suffer from having to get a little $5 adapter for the USB port. It smokes the earlier models in FCPX from what I've heard. Lots of other advantages too, if you can stand the adapters.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I am assuming that your choices include the dGPU models. I would go with the 2014 since it would be a little cheaper and I trust the NVIDIA more than the AMD graphics.

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Actually, checking my sources, I see the new MBP is faster, quieter and cooler in general for video editing, including with Premiere, though the difference is more for FCPX. See here, for example (which includes a ramble about dongles in the beginning):

Start around 2:30 on this one:

I'll add that the new monitor's color space is P3, more suited to video than the older sRGB.

5. jeanvigo thread starter macrumors newbie

jeanvigo

is it really that good?
    Couse I may actually face the absence of a usb port, but what about the price? Would a new model be better equipped and yet not more expensive? If yes which model would you go for?
    Thanks in advance for your help

6. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I posted a couple videos right above your post while you were typing. Video editing is the area in which the new MBP really shines in comparison to the older ones, and even compared to Windows machines when using FCPX. Yes, more expensive, though, for comparable specs. If money is an issue, getting the base 15" model with the top, 460, dGPU would be one way to get more bang for the buck.

Maybe some folks who are editing video will chime in. I don't do that myself, only found out about it while doing research on which model to get.

7. jeanvigo thread starter macrumors newbie

jeanvigo

Thanks, actually after I watched the 2 video you posted I kind of changed my mind. And felt stupid about the usb statement. It is true, is more expensive but for what i do is probably the best choice. The first video also answered my question about wich model. well if any videomaker would really chime in that would be fantastic, meanwhile thanks again

8. caramelpolice macrumors regular

These videos are comparing the 2015 to the 2016. OP is asking about picking between the 2014 and the 2015.

The 2014 and 2015 models are almost identical, save for the Force Touch trackpad and dedicated GPU (though the OP did not specify if either model has a dedicated GPU).