Help: Will Airport Express work with an Xbox 360 wireless adapter?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by omgwut, Nov 12, 2008.

1. omgwut macrumors 6502

omgwut

Hey,

I don't have a wireless network in my home and want to set one up so I can play Xbox Live from my room... and my G4 iMac which is way on the other side of the house doesn't have built-in 802.11 so I need to buy a wireless router.

If I buy the Xbox 360 wireless adapter and an Apple Airport Express will they work together? And I read that you can use the Express like a router, so do you just plug it into a wall outlet and connect it through ethernet to your iMac, or your cable modem? Or how does it work.

Thanks! :)

2. OptyCT macrumors 6502

While the Airport Express can work like a router, it really isn't physically designed that way. The problem is that it has one ethernet port. To be used solely as a router, the ethernet port on the AE has to be hooked up to your DSL/Cable modem. As a result, the AE cannot accept both ethernet connections from a modem and desktop.

I currently use an Xbox 360 wireless adapter with an AE. So, yes, that does work. My AE is linked up via WDS to my Linksys WRT54G router which is running DD-WRT firmware. Being new to wireless networks, I don't expect you to know what this means.

My recommendation for you would be to go out and purchase any Wireless N router that has multiple ethernet ports (not the AE). From the sounds of it, you will need "N" type range since you're desktop is located on the other side of your house from your Xbox. Routers like the Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station ($180) or the Belkin N+ ($100) should fit the bill. You can hook a router like this up with your modem (via ethernet cable) and still plug your iMac into it (also via ethernet cable). You can then connect your Xbox wirelessly using the 360 wireless adapter.

3. omgwut thread starter macrumors 6502

omgwut

Yeah, it looked odd that the AE only has one ethernet port in it..

Do I really need an N-capable router though? I didn't think the 360 wireless adapter supports 802.11n. And DD-WRT must be hacked firmware? Because I don't want to deal with any of that..

Thank you though, I'll take your recommendations into consideration. :)

4. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

Here's an option for you. Buy two Airport Express. Hook one up to your cable/dsl modem and then plug the other into an outlet where your xbox360 is. Forget the XBOX360 wireless... that is $100 alone.

Set up the one Airport Express as a WDS Main and then connect the Airport Express at the 360 up as a WDS Remote. Now you can plug your XBOX 360 directly into the Airport Express. Plus you have the benefit of Airtunes and print server.

I do a similar setup only I went with the Airport Extreme Base Station as my main and use the Airport Express as the remote at my 360. I feel like I get better throughput with it wired to the Express then using the XBOX 360 wireless adapter.

It should only cost you $200 with both Airport Express which is what you would have spent anyways with the Express and 360 Wireless adapter.

5. OptyCT macrumors 6502

You're correct that the Xbox 360 wireless adapter is 802.11G. However, an 802.11N router will still give you increased range, even when using a "G" adapter. "G" and "N" only refer to speeds, not range. Wireless N routers use longer range frequencies (think cordless phones - 900 Mhz vs. 2.4 Ghz, etc.). There are a few reasons why I recommended a wireless "N" router: 1.) Future proof - your next MacBook will have 802.11N; 2.) Range - your Xbox is located across the house from where the router will be located. Why not have the strongest possible signal?; 3.) Price - the Belkin N+ is basically the same price as the Airport Express.

6. OptyCT macrumors 6502

While I like this setup, he still won't be able to hook up his iMac.

7. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

Don't the iMacs have wirless built into them? I could be wrong in my assumption as I am not terribly familiar with them. He should just be able to get online wirelessly. Right now it sounds like he is hardwired to his cable modem.

8. kwhite22 macrumors newbie

Same question

Hi

I just got the Xbox 360 and I am a Mac user. I have the Airport Extreme and I am unsure wether I can use the wireless adapter or not. Do you think that is a possibility or do I have to get a longer ethernet cable?

-Kevin