HELP! Will apple swap my phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gumball981, Apr 8, 2009.

1. gumball981 macrumors member

UPDATE: GOT THE PHONE WORKING, THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED! SORRY ABOUT THE CONFUSION ABOUT WHEN I GOT IT.

So, I got my phone last december and everything has been going good. I haven't dropped it once and only have the Invisible Shield covering the phone. Today in the mall I took out my phone and I had the weather application up. I pressed the home button, however I didn't go home, I pressed it again and the iPod application popped up (I have the double home button press set to iPod). I tried going home again and the home button completely stopped working. I then tried to hold the sleep/wake button to turn it off, however it would only sleep and not bring up the slider to turn off the phone. I then tried to reset (holding sleep/wake and home button) and the phone turned completely white. I can still sleep it, however when I wake it only shows the whiteness. I checked both water sensors and neither had been tripped.

will apple swap my phone for no cost?
    thanks.

2. Skydivincoastie macrumors member

I think apple will only help you if your still under warranty sadly...but its worth a shot

3. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I can, he's out of warranty...

Next time buy Applecare.

5. gumball981 thread starter macrumors member

I only got my phone 4 months ago, I'm still under warranty aren't I?

6. w00master macrumors 65816

Did you try re-syncing it to iTunes and then do a backup recover? If not, the only thing you can do is take it in and have the "geniuses" take a look at it.

7. krogren macrumors member

Definitely try this first. This is the default path that the Applecare support will tell you to do first. If this fails, take it in. But definitely, try to do a back-up recover.

8. gumball981 thread starter macrumors member

that's just restoring your iphone and then re-syncing it with your library right? I have never restored before, how do you get it to recover from the backup?

9. w00master macrumors 65816

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

First, there should be no problem in getting it replaced.

Second, just a point of language... Since this is only 4 months since December, the term "Last December" means "December 2007", whereas saying "I got it in December" means "December 2008". Simply by using the past tense we all would have known you meant December 2008, but by adding the word last, it makes it seem like you meant 2007.

TEG

11. krogren macrumors member

Here's a few articles straight from Apple's Support for iPhone.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1650
    That is a link to a list of articles to verify that your iPhone hardware is working correctly.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414?viewlocale=en_US
    Thats a guide to Backing Up, updating, and restoring your iPhone.
    I wouldn't recommend doing that though, what you will want to do when you're ready to 'recover from a backup' is to sync the iPHone to your computer, and in the summary tab click "Recover from Backup" I believe is where it is. If not, right click on the name of your iPhone in the left sidebar (The place where all your playlists are also listed) and click Recover from Backup. Note: It probably says Restore instead of Recover.

Good luck.

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

I agree with you on point one but you are wrong about point two. Last December references the last December that is indicated on the calendar, as in December 2008. What do you consider last week to reference? :eek: :rolleyes: I can only imagine what you would have said if I called it an Iphone or used the dreaded iTouch word. Let's skip the grammer lessons and just ask the thread starter before jumping to assumptions as to his warranty status. One of you could have caused personal stress. :(

Dave