Help - Window shadows still look weird after calibrating display

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Oct 18, 2015.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015

PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

So I just got a new display for my 1,1 Mac Pro (which runs El Cap); it's a Lenovo display.

I calibrated it with expert settings, and all looks nice... except for shadows. Not sure if it's my cheaper GPU, but the shadows definitely look okay on my old monitor. Anyone else having issues like this? What's a good technique with which to fix this issue?

-Thanks

EDIT: I thought before to check the contrast settings on the actual monitor, but when I adjusted it previously, nothing happened... well, it looks like I didn't go down far enough. With the contrast at 50, the weird shadows persist, but at 49? Back to normal! xD Very big difference with only one off.

Attached Files:

2. sibcc macrumors member

sibcc

I've found similar problems with a lot of computer monitors. Color rendition and contrast is all over the place. There is even a lack of consistency between two of the same model. When I buy monitors for personal use, its not unusual to have to return 4-6 before finding one that meets my demands. Medical diagnostic monitors tend to be good but are extremely expensive.

Oh, I still have a MDD. Aside from switching the PS to a standard PC ATX, that machine just keeps on running.

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I guess the contrast settings can be touchy, considering that, at 50% contrast, the shadows looked odd, but at 49% contrast, they were immediately fixed.

The new issue here is that my new monitor has been giving off his high-frequency noise, and it's bugging me a lot. I know this is common with monitors; people say that one should adjust the brightness or contrast... but THAT is something that didn't work for me. Sadly, I think I'll have to return it, which is a shame. What's worse is that there's no way of telling if a replacement unit will do the same, until you get it home and try it out.

My MDD is part of my collection :). I got it (obviously used) not too long ago. Really loud, but actually about on-par with the loudness of my Quicksilver. I actually used it for some time... and after all of my experiences using old computers, I'm just completely scarred by fan and HDD noises. These are hearty machines, assuming the PSUs are in-tact. I've seen those things on eBay for more than the computer itself is worth.