[help] windows 7 on bootcamp without an optical drive..

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nelz886, Oct 24, 2010.

1. nelz886 macrumors member

nelz886

Hello!

I needs some help. I have a MacbookPro6,2 (mid 2010). I replaced my optical drive with an OptiBay 500GB hard drive before I realized I wanted to do bootcamp. So, I did a lot of searching and found that I would be able to install windows 7 onto my bootcamp partition using Parallels 6 (from an image of the retail windows 7 disk).

The install from parallels was successful so I used parallels to install the bootcamp drivers to the windows partition. However, when I try to boot TO the windows partition, it starts up, displays the 'starting windows' message w/ the windows icon then BAM--Blue Screen of Death flashes on for less than a second and the machine restarts. I can't even read what the error is, thats how quickly it restarts. I also searched the partition looking for the BSOD error log but no log was generated.

All my searches have led nowhere. Can anyone take a guess as to whats going on?

Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

Do you still have the ODD? Where are you installing Windows?

I have an Optibay setup and I decided to install Windows on my HDD. All I had to do was relocate the HDD to the main drive bay, put the ODD back in, and install Windows from a DVD. Once I relocated the HDD to the Optical bay and put the SSD back into the main drive bay, both of the OSes were recognized by the bootloader and were working.

4. nelz886 thread starter macrumors member

nelz886

I'm trying to install windows to the optibay drive. I'd really like to not have to re-install my odd :eek:

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I already linked the main thread on this topic earlier. Have you read it?

Edit: Basically two approaches. Use a VM solution like Parallels or Fusion OR create an internal partition with the Windows installer files on it.

B

6. nelz886 thread starter macrumors member

nelz886

I read through that thread twice, just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I have tried both suggested methods and I get get the same results. In addition, I've tried installing from a usb drive, internal partition, external superdrive, parallels, fusion, and through prayer to the EFI gods. :(

I really don't want to re-install my superdrive but I looks as though my options are very limited.

7. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

Reinstalling the Superdrive is the easiest option, trust me.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Why would a reinstalled internal superdrive work if an external superdrive didn't?

9. nelz886 thread starter macrumors member

nelz886

An internal would work because bootcamp drivers only support installation via optical drive on the SATA bus. Apple's EFI bootloader doesn't have much support for USB or firewire external superdrive (and booting from them).

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Minor point. Mac OS and Linux generally boot fine from USB/FW, it's really only an issue with Windows.

One thing you haven't mentioned is if you tried booting in safe mode? It sounds like a driver incompatibility issue to me.

B