Help wiping my mac. Little bit stuck! Urgent

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DryEyez, Apr 14, 2012.

1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

So I have the .DMG file and .ISO file of Lion OS X on my desktop as a backup. I've tried burning the ISO to a disc, so that I can do a complete fresh install on the mac. Every time I try to do this the process starts, then it says that the CD didn't respond and now it's unable to recover it.

Is there another option I could try, perhaps putting the Lion files on a USB, would that work?

Or could I use the files on the desktop to initiate the wipe and fresh install?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, as I need to do this ASAP for a friend. Cheers.

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Macs don't use .iso. Burn the .dmg to a disc or put it on a thumb drive with at least 4 GBs free, and then format as need be. The Mac should then go to internet recovery when booted, or if you hold [option] while booting you can choose the .dmg to boot from and install.

3. 184550 Guest

Any reason you can't/ couldn't use Lion Internet Recovery?

4. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

I've just never used it before. Bought a USB drive with Lion on and used that, put the files on here as a backup, USB broke and now here I am :/

5. 184550 Guest

I used it in January when I gave my brother my old iMac. It was surprisingly painless.

6. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Well it is successful, and unless you have very slow Internet, or can't afford to download again if nessisary, I wouldn't worry to much about it, although the .dmg on a USB drive should be enough.

7. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I don't know what went wrong before (My usb pen has broke so I can't use that) but after the 4th attempt, it has managed to burn the .DMG file to a disc. So hopefully I can install Lion now : )

----------

What do I press when I restart my machine so it will boot up from the CD I've burned? Cannot remember at all, so long since I've done this

8. -lefty macrumors member

9. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

So, my mbp has had it's hdd wiped completely. The numerous copies however that I have made of Lion are not working...originally my friend purchased a usb drive on my behalf with a copy of Lion on it...which subsequently broke. My copies don't seem to work anymore and the internet option wants me to buy Lion again.

Long story short, I have given up on Lion completely and I am now using my trusty straight forward disc of Snow Leopard!

Does anyone know how you get Lion again without paying for it when you already did in the firet place with the USB?