Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macxoxo1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
Seattle
I have a 10 year old IMac that has 40,000 photos on it, system is crashing due to no storage so I cannot get on and delete files and some of the pics. I read that if I get a new Mac computer I can use a FireWire thing to then put the 40k pics on a external drive, is that true? Thx

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I read that if I get a new Mac computer I can use a FireWire thing to then put the 40k pics on a external drive, is that true?"

No.
New Macs DO NOT HAVE firewire connectivity.
It's possible to connect an old firewire drive to a new Mac, but that involves buying two (not one, but TWO) adapters and try to rig up a solution that way (you don't really want to do that).

If the old iMac is "crashing due to no storage", then it's time to start DELETING stuff on the internal drive so it won't crash.

Also... THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO:
MAKE A BACKUP of the internal drive on an EXTERNAL USB3 drive.
I would recommend that you download the appropriate version of CarbonCopyCloner and use that to clone the internal drive to your backup.

You can get CCC here (free to use for 30 days):

Don't delay on the backup.
If the computer completely quits, the only way to "get at" the internal drive will be to pry the iMac open and take the drive out. You could then buy a USB3/SATA dock to access it that way.

But if you have a backup -- things will go much easier.
Particularly in setting up the new Mac.

Macxoxo1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
Seattle
"I read that if I get a new Mac computer I can use a FireWire thing to then put the 40k pics on a external drive, is that true?"

No.
New Macs DO NOT HAVE firewire connectivity.
It's possible to connect an old firewire drive to a new Mac, but that involves buying two (not one, but TWO) adapters and try to rig up a solution that way (you don't really want to do that).

If the old iMac is "crashing due to no storage", then it's time to start DELETING stuff on the internal drive so it won't crash.

Also... THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO:
MAKE A BACKUP of the internal drive on an EXTERNAL USB3 drive.
I would recommend that you download the appropriate version of CarbonCopyCloner and use that to clone the internal drive to your backup.

You can get CCC here (free to use for 30 days):

Don't delay on the backup.
If the computer completely quits, the only way to "get at" the internal drive will be to pry the iMac open and take the drive out. You could then buy a USB3/SATA dock to access it that way.

But if you have a backup -- things will go much easier.
Particularly in setting up the new Mac.
Thank you for your reply. Every time I try to go on and delete files nothing opens, it’s too jammed up with files and pics to even let me in to delete any. Is there a way to delete them without opening applications ?
thx

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You can delete them "from the finder" without opening applications.

You can boot from an external drive, and then delete them that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.