Help with 13" MBP Network Card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klee1987, Jun 25, 2009.

1. klee1987 macrumors regular

Hello all,

My Macbook Pro arrived today and I installed Vmware Fusion + XP.....I'm really loving it except it's cutting into my palm when I'm using the touchpad....

Anyway everything in XP works except the Network card. Does anyone know which model network card the MBP has, or a link to the drivers?

Thanks

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If your using Windows via VMware, you shouldn't need drivers. Period.
    Just make sure the Networking option is enabled prior to starting the OS.
    [​IMG]

The only time you'll need any device drivers for windows, is when you're installing Windows via BootCamp.. In which case those drivers should be in the MacOS installer disk which came with your system.

3. klee1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have it setup like your image but I cannot connect to the internet via my Mac's internet connection. Inside Device Manager the ethernet controller's got no driver.

I encountered the same problem with my sister's 1st gen intel macbook a week ago- it was easy to locate the driver since it runs on intel 945. For the 13" running the Nvidia chipset I have no idea what network card it has.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

So what your saying is this.. the Mac itself won't connect to the internet? Or does this apply only to Windows?

5. klee1987 thread starter macrumors regular

The Mac connects to the internet fine, but windows would not since it thinks it doesn't have a proper network card installed.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ahh.. OK..

Window visualization via VMware still doesn't need device drivers. Everything you need is there, right inside Fusion. So, in fusion, have you installed it's support drivers "vm tools" ??

[​IMG]

7. klee1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, done that.

Maybe it is because I am running Windows Fundamentals? It's not officially supported

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. I ain't used that version personally. Did you try seeking help from their forums? I know they have a fairly good support team who you'd can go ask questions, report bugs etc.

Alternatively... You can always download the Windows 7RC from Microsoft, it's free and it's fully working version of their forthcoming Windows 7. They will even give you a free KEY!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx

Officially it's for developers.. but it's soo stable, you can use it for everything and there's no compatibilty problems as there's a vista emulation built in. The Mac you have is more then capable.. cause I'm running it on my 2year old MacBookPro.

9. klee1987 thread starter macrumors regular

lol....I keep thinking about the vista =7 thing after the keynote. Bloated. :)

And I don't really like the vista/7 interface as I'm used to XP. I'm new to OS X so I am willing to learn OS x...but vista/7? not so much...

thanks so much for helping though. I really appreciate it

10. klee1987 thread starter macrumors regular

UltraNEO, I installed the Intel PRO 1000/MT Drivers for desktop and it worked!

Yay! Anyway, Let me thank you once again for helping with all the screen grabs and things, it must have taken a lot of hard work!:)

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Great!! Glad you've gotten it solved. :)

It was my pleasure.. I don't mind helping people who need help, it's even better then they say thanks... don't worry about the screen shots.. i tend to do them alot! :D