Help with 2 M4V files, need joining!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Jomni, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Jomni macrumors member

Hello,
    i have just used handbrake to encode the Godfather part 2, which is in two parts itself on 2 DVDs. i now have part 1 and part 2 as seperate m4v files. How can i join these files together to tag them in metax and then import to itunes?
    Thanks

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Open one in QuickTime, drag and drop the other one in.

3. Jomni thread starter macrumors member

i've seen that suggested, but it doesn't work. i have OSX SL so my take is that it differs from the old quicktime pro. so no luck with that.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I have 10.6. It does work. Are you using QuickTime X or 7? I don't think it's a Pro feature.

Just tried it, works fine. no luck needed.

5. Jomni thread starter macrumors member

i'm using quicktime 10.0 so i guess the same version. i've opened the first half of the file then dragged the other half to it, but nothing.

6. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

It works with the free version as well, open a video in QuickTime. Now position the program’s playhead where you would like your next video clip to be inserted. It can be at the beginning, anywhere in the middle, or right at the end. Once you have done that, locate your second movie file in Finder. Select the file and drag & drop it right onto the QuickTime window. Playing the whole movie will reveal that the clips have now been combined and are acting as if they were a single video.

The tricky part comes where QP Pro has the ability to save the 2 merged files from the finder menu, otherwise if you are using the free version of QP, you have to close the video, then you'll get a pop-up asking you to save it and if you do it this way, I highly recommend you save it as a self contained movie..

But it does work by dragging and dropping..

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Use 7, not X.

8. Jomni thread starter macrumors member

cheers guys, downloaded QT 7 and i've done it now.
    Thanks muchly both.

9. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

Semi-related question..

How do I take two Handbraked AppleTv preset .m4v files, which are already tagged with chapters and dual audio tracks, and merge them into one .m4v file? This file has to have combined chapters and one stereo track and one AC3 track? I want this movie to play on the AppleTV Backrow, XBMC and Plex in all it's glory. Issues I've had:

QuickTime - I lose one set of chapters and outputs it as a .mov (not playable on XBMC).

MPEG Streamclip - ditto, I lose a set of chapters and wants to export as .mp4 (lose dual audio tracks) or .mov

SimpleMovieX (closest yet) - I can get the chapters all added but it outputs two sets of the two audio files for a total of four tracks. Also only outputs as .mov unless I re-encode but doesn't do .m4v (again, dual audio tracks).

Ideas?