Help with 2009 MBP. OS X won't install.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ShoePotato, Jun 13, 2014.

1. ShoePotato macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I've been searching all over for an answer but can't seem to find one. My problem is a bit unique.

My macbook had a corrupted hard drive, so I decided to switch out the hard drive and install osx 10.5 from scratch. The hard drive is brand new, so I know that shouldn't be an issue. Anyway, when I put the installation disk in the disk tray, it recognizes it, but when I want to install it, it freezes and after 4 minutes it just shuts off. I can't go into recovery for some reason, it won't let me. I can't download osx through the internet method because for some reason that doesn't work either (when I say doesn't work, I mean I press the required keys in order to access the menus, yet nothing happens on screen.)

Is there a !method to install osx via a flash drive even if I don't have a Mac present? Can I somehow install osx or something on the flash drive via windows? Then use the flash drive install osx on my Mac? Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A 2009 MBP won't work with Internet recovery, so you will need to get the OS on there some other way.

Do you have access to another Mac? You could login to the App Store there and DL the free Mavericks then use that to make yourself a USB installer key.