Help with 2nd ssd in optibay MBP 15 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobbykasthuri, Sep 28, 2012.

1. bobbykasthuri macrumors newbie

Hello all
    I am running a late 2011 MBP 15'. Got lucky and found a 512 Gb Crucial M4 SSD at work and decided to install in my opti-bay. Currently the optibay housed a 512 Gb 7200 rpm HD which works fine. I can not get the SSD to be recognized by the MBP in the optibay drive. When I check the SATA connections on my computer it does not display the second ssd. I have another crucial m4 SSD in the main drive that works great.
    It is recognized when I attach it to a USB 2.0 converter and plug into MBP (it has been formatted as Mac Os exteneded journal).

please this si driving me bonkers so any help would be really appreciated

Best
    BK

2. bobbykasthuri thread starter macrumors newbie

please all hep would be really apprecaited!

thanks
    BK

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I wouldnt run the SSD in the optima regardless, the optibay is limited to SATAII and your M4 SSD is SATAIII. I would run the SSD in the main bay and the HDD in the optibay for fastest performance and ease of use.

4. bobbykasthuri thread starter macrumors newbie

resolved

HI all
    thought I would post this. I got the second SSD to work by cloning (carbon copy cloner) the first to it and adding to opti bay (Thanks Will Dooley for the help!). Then erasing the drive after installed worked like a charm. I also see that it is now at 6 gb negotiated speed like the other SSD.

Best
    BK

5. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

You might have gotten this working, but don't be surprised if it flakes out on you at some point. The link is listed as 6G but even then....trouble

http://blog.macsales.com/12410-apple’s-latest-2011-macbook-pro-refresh-using-sata-3-0-6gbs-drives