Help with 3GS JB and Unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by macresante, Jan 15, 2011.

1. macresante macrumors newbie

I read the stickies on the top of this thread but I am still in need of direction.

I have an iPhone 3GS iOS 4.0 with baseband 5.13.04 and Bootrom 359.3, never before JB. I want to JB and unlock but I don't know what my options are.

Ideally, I would like to use pwnage and ultrasn0w to do it (using an iMac). Can I use the latest pwnage, 4.2.1, to create a custom ipsw file and JB even if I have 4.0 on the phone? I understand that I have a baseband that will allow me to unlock using ultrasn0w. If the above is possible, would that mean I have a JB and unlocked 3GS with 4.2.1?

I believe I can use jailbreakme.com but then I would be stuck in 4.0.1. If I can't use pwnage, what other options do I have to JB with 4.2.1?

Also, I still have all my stuff on the phone and would like to take everything out. I tried restore in iTunes but it wanted to restore AND update to the latest FW (and baseband) which is something I don't want. Would creating an ipsw with pwnage erase all the data? If not, what's the best way to do it?

Thanks so much for the help and direction.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes, you can use PwnageTool to upgrade to 4.2.1. You have the old bootrom 3GS so the jailbreak will remain untethered.

3. macresante thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Would there be any problems running Cydia in 4.2.1? I read in some places that there were issues but it may have been with older versions of pwnage or other JB apps.

Also, if I use pwnage to create a custom ipsw file, will this wipe out all my apps, music, and other personal settings, like I'm hoping to do?

Thanks again.

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

One thing you should be aware of the DEV team never released a full version of pwnage tool for 4.2.1 or if they have I am unaware of it. Go read their blog.

You need to modify pwnage tool by dropping a 4.2.1 bundle in it which is available on their blog and then even after loading the custom IPSW you have to jailbreak it with redsn0w.

Normally with pwnage tool you just create the custom ipsw and put it on the phone.

5. macresante thread starter macrumors newbie

After reading several threads on various sites, I think I almost have it figured out.

I downloaded pwnage 4.1.3 with the 3GS minimal bundle and dropped it into the pwnage app. I also downloaded redsn0w (0.9.6rc8) and the 4.2.1 ipsw, following the instructions from http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12944

What I'm missing is this, what do I use to build the 4.2.1 ipsw for pwnage?

I ran pwnage but got stuck in the part where I have to browse for the ipsw file - I can't get to the part to uncheck "Activate the Phone". Would I just the 4.2.1 ipsw from here (the same place I downloaded for use with redn0w)? http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-9895.20101122.Cdew2/iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Restore.ipsw

So in essence, I will be JB the phone twice - once with pwnage and again with redsn0w using 2 different ipsw files? Thanks again.