Help with 4th gen - lyrics won't show up

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ChrisLovesSaw, Sep 9, 2010.

1. ChrisLovesSaw macrumors newbie

I synced some songs (BBB, A Drowning, and The Space in Between by How to Destroy Angels) and they have lyrics in them and on my iPod the lyrics will not show up.

When I go to a new song, the screen darkens like it does when it displays lyrics (white lyrics on a black background) but then it instantly vanishes and doesn't display them. I've checked in Settings and the lyric and podcast info is ON (i tried off too, still no luck) and checked the songs through iTunes and the lyrics show up there, just not on the iPod.

Anyone know what the problem is? It's the 4th-gen iPod Touch on iOS 4.1

2. fwoppers macrumors member

Hmm.

I manually added lyrics to one of my tracks, and the Touch isn't showing any. Did Apple take this feature away?! :\

Also, nice to see another HTDA fan. :)

3. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

If anyone fixes this post back here, since if they removed the feature I want to know. One of my main reasons for buying this is the lyrics display since I listen to foreign music and would like to see the lyrics, so if it doesn't display manually added lyrics, then I will not be buying it.

4. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

Ok I think I found a fix, it has to do with iOS4:

via this article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/152156/2010/06/ios4_multimedia.html

Lyrics and podcast info optional: In the past, if you’d added lyrics to a track and tapped on the Now Playing screen while the track was playing, the track’s lyrics would appear. This is now an option in the iPod (iPhone) and Music (iPod touch) settings screens. Here you’ll find a Lyrics & Podcast Info On/Off toggle. Switch it off, and you can tap all you like but won’t see lyrics or podcast info on a Now Playing screen. The other settings in the iPod/Music settings screen remain as they were.

5. ChrisLovesSaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry dude that didn't help. It just told us what we already know.

6. fwoppers macrumors member

Thanks, but what ChrisLovesSaw said. The option is enabled for both of us, and tapping the album cover won't bring up the lyrics.

7. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I guess wait until there are more touch's out there (people might complain more), or call apple and see if they have anything to say about it.

I doubt anyone spent as much time as I did adding lyrics to my songs, because it literately took me the whole entire summer to find and add lyrics to all my songs (and I am still working on it to this day), and if I can't see them on the ipod then I will buy one of the older gen iPods I guess.

8. DoctorSubmarine macrumors newbie

Lyrics work fine on mine. It must be an isolated issue.

9. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I was gonna say, I think if they removed it they would have removed the options from settings altogether, so you wouldn't even see that option in settings. Also I have visited many message boards and no complaints about this on any other one. But I don't know anything because I don't have one of these yet, lol.

Sometimes its kinda funky when you are copying and pasting lyrics (which I literately have done until I nearly fried my brain), the screen flashes a lot when doing the lyrics and manual album artwork this is probably because its embedding the info in the MP3. I have also noticed some of my album artwork does not stick the first time I add it (manually), I have to go back and redo then it works just fine.

Perhaps try re-adding the lyrics and re-synching.

I have a karaoke machine that I plug my MP3 into through the headphone jack, so having a lyrics display would pretty much complete my setup, and make me a very very happy person. Even if it was a lot of work. I am not looking for karaoke lyrics, just regular text because I can sing better if I can read all or most of the words on the screen at once.

10. ChrisLovesSaw thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try re-syncing the lyrics. This is odd because lyrics on other songs show up, but not one the three songs I just added.

Thanks now I feel like a freak. =P

11. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

No really, I appreciate knowing if there is a problem, especially with the feature I am most looking forward to with the touch (along with the millions of apps I downloaded).

12. Cuz03 macrumors member

Mine works fine. I have lyrics (manually put on) on two songs. And i just tap the album artwork while listening to a song and it appears and i can just scroll through. :D

13. UniQuadrion macrumors newbie

I have the same ISSUE!

Folks, i have also this lyrics issue in my 4g 32gb iPod touch. They just don't show up even if i added them. I have been looking into this subject over 2 hours now i found here. Please if you find a solution, don't hesitate to tell me!!

14. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

just found out it does this on mine to. very odd.