Help with a 5yr old Macbook - CLEAN WIPE

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ineedhelp10, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Ineedhelp10 macrumors newbie

Hi

It's my first post so take it easy on me.
    I currently have:

Macbook
    1.83GHZ Intel Core Duo
    2GB RAM
    Running 10.6.8

I've never done a clean install since I've owned the machine. I have always just upgraded the OS when a new one has been released.
    However, the machine is really slowing down now and I was thinking about doing a complete clean install of SL again.

My only problem is iTunes/iPhone. I really don't want to lose any data from my iPhone and my concern is that when I complete the clean install, my computer will not recognise the iPhone and then wipe all of its data.
    I'm currently running 4.2.1 on my iPhone (and I don't want to upgrade to iOS 5 yet).

I do have an external drive but there's too much information on it for me to run time machine and backup info via that method.
    Probably have 20GB of space on my external HD and iTunes is approx 17GB...

2. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Are you able to backup the iPhone to iCloud? That would eliminate any concerns you have with our iPhone.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your best bet is to back up your entire drive, short of that, then your home folder. If you cannot fit your home folder on an external drive you risk missing some files/folders if you selectively back up your data. My suggestion is if you cannot fit your system on an external drive, then pick up a larger drive

4. Ineedhelp10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im running 4.2.1 on my iPhone...I thought iCloud was for iOS 5 users.

I can free enough space on my external HD, to copy my home folder. But my biggest concern, again, is:

After I've installed SL, I will plug in my external HD and drag across all my music...no problem.
    But what will happen to my iPhone, as surely the new iTunes will not recognise the phone and therefore completely wipe it, when I sync it...because it thinks the phone is linked to another iTunes library??

5. Sjhonny macrumors 6502

install os x on an usb hdd and try it out. Did it once before, can't remember having any issues. Just keep in mind to use exactly the same user settings (username, short, password), otherwise you might end up with permission issues.

6. hakuin macrumors regular

Is your hard drive full or nearly full? That might be the reason for the computer slowing down.
    About 15% empty space is recommended.