Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Hey there everyone! Not 100% sure this is the right spot to ask but here it goes.

I have a 2016 Non-Touch-Bar MacBook Pro, that has been taking a little turn for the worse.

Issue 1. Audio Jack- All headphones work but will random stop playing if I slightly move. ASWELL as no-inline mic will work with it. I've tried so many headphones and even returned a pair of beats Solos since I thought it was the inline mic on it and not the jack itself.

Issue 2. Keyboard- Keys will randomly stop working if the computer gets warm, will require NOTICEABLY hard presses and stop flow of typing whilst im working (remote technician for amazon). I've been battling this one for the last 3 months, have had a couple calls with apple who basically instruct me to the cleaning guide / then to the NVRAM PRAM guide if that doesn't work.

Issue 3. Random clicks? The laptop will just randomly click and make a "popping sound" while im using it. With headphones on you wont notice it to much, but if I am in my university library it can be obvious after a few clicks where it is coming from. I have real no way to replicate this which brings me to my final thought and my actual question.

How do I get them to swap this thing out? Will they make the argument that the laptop is approaching a certain age and some things will be expected? I've never had to swap out a laptop before, many phones, many iPads and many many annoying visits back with light bleeding from my original iMac retina. Any tips to get this thing swapped out / credit towards the same model color. I can not be with out my laptop for more than 24 hours. Any help is appreciated, take care!

Reactions: jeyf

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The chances are slim they will swap it out in store for a new computer. They will repair it which could take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks turnaround time.

You can always ask and maybe even ask for a manager but I'd peg your chances at slim to none..

Reactions: akash.nu

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
I have the same issues with my 2016 MBP
save your time, just skip it, stay home
the genius bar will tell you to replace your keyboard with a only slightly better design will cost you $800.

in a time where other companies consumer electronics are becoming totally reliable and low cost we have Apple Care

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I have the same issues with my 2016 MBP
save your time, just skip it, stay home
the genius bar will tell you to replace your keyboard with a only slightly better design will cost you $800.

in a time where other companies consumer electronics are becoming totally reliable and low cost we have Apple Care

yeah it sucks. I remember years ago my dad was able to borrow a laptop while his was getting repaired.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
just skip it, stay home the genius bar will tell you to replace your keyboard with a only slightly better design will cost you $800.

If it's still under warranty then it won't cost a cent or if it's past the one year and he/she has Apple Care +..

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Is it still under warranty? What repairs have you had done?

If you haven't had any physical hardware repairs - start getting them done. The audio issue is most likely going to be a logic board, and the keyboard will need a new top case.

You may find that resolves the issues. If you haven't had any repairs they won't just replace it without trying to repair it. Rule of thumb (varies case-by-case) is 3 major component repairs = new machine.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Is it still under warranty? What repairs have you had done?

If you haven't had any physical hardware repairs - start getting them done. The audio issue is most likely going to be a logic board, and the keyboard will need a new top case.

You may find that resolves the issues. If you haven't had any repairs they won't just replace it without trying to repair it. Rule of thumb (varies case-by-case) is 3 major component repairs = new machine.

Its under warranty for another 15 days.

I have the keyboard issue on file from a couple months ago. I am on a very tight income right now and my days are slammed, classes then working right when I get home for a bite as a remote tech. Having my laptop now with me for a few days would put me so far behind at work. I can use the computer labs for school work but I can not run work-spaces off of them or the required Citrix app for Remote Desktop off of them. ( Already asked my school if I could)

I could always add the light bleed on the bottom left to the equation maybe that will push it over the limit. I wonder how much they take in account of all the things you've purchased through them over the years when it comes to it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Its under warranty for another 15 days."

Take it to the genius bar.
NOW.
Don't wait.
You snooze... you're gonna lose.

And if you lose, you'll loose BIG TIME, because the keyboard costs $700 to fix out of your own pocket.

Did I mention that you better take it to an Apple Store RIGHT AWAY?

Reactions: Patcell and raqball

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
OP wrote:

NOW.
Don't wait.

And if you lose, you'll loose BIG TIME, because the keyboard costs $700 to fix out of your own pocket.

I have one set for 12:15PM EST. I just know they are going either A. Say nothing is wrong with it B. SURE we will fix everything but it will be 7-8 days.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I have one set for 12:15PM EST. I just know they are going either A. Say nothing is wrong with it B. SURE we will fix everything but it will be 7-8 days.

They will more than likely do B and you will be without it for a few days to a few weeks..

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
So I must have had the nicest manager ever. I was able to "try out joint venture" 500 dollars allowed me to get a loan machine during my repair. Once my repair is done I will be able to say that my "business" did not like the service. Honestly apple surprises me all the time.

Reactions: No. 44

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
So I must have had the nicest manager ever. I was able to "try out joint venture" 500 dollars allowed me to get a loan machine during my repair. Once my repair is done I will be able to say that my "business" did not like the service. Honestly apple surprises me all the time.
Huh. Never heard of them doing that since you usually need to buy Joint Venture at the time of purchase. Good to hear they're helping you out, and remember that after a repair it has a minimum 90 day warranty.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So I must have had the nicest manager ever.
This is one reason why I keep buying from Apple, their level of customer support is by far the best. What you wrote is not unusual, in the sense they bent over backwards to help you out.

Last year, I was able to trade in an iPad Pro months old for a different iPad Pro model. I mean I wasn't just barely out of the 14 day return window, I was like 2 months out, yet they did it. They're great, that's all I can say.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
OP wrote:

NOW.
Don't wait.

If they snooze then there will be another thread, “Apple charging me X to fix my computer”

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Huh. Never heard of them doing that since you usually need to buy Joint Venture at the time of purchase. Good to hear they're helping you out, and remember that after a repair it has a minimum 90 day warranty.

That all depends what their sales figures are like ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.