Help with a "Broken" iPhone - Restore

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by skookie5, Mar 20, 2010.

1. skookie5 macrumors newbie

If you can give me any help at all it would be greatly appreciated in my...unique incedent.

So, I was on my 8gb iPhone 3G when I turned it off after and app kept crashing (as suggested). When I went to turn it back on it went to the Apple logo (white one at boot up) and...stayed there forever. Hours. I turned it off and the same thing happened. It was (software) broken. I took it to the Apple store and got a new phone (it was out of warranty) and they said they couldnt fix it but I got to keep it.

Fast forward 2 weeks to now, and I have the same issue. The computer won't recognize it and it stays at that screen. I would really love to restore to system defualts (or get onto it if possible - either way is completely fine as I plan to hack it or do something with it) so I can mess with it etc etc. So my main question would be: would it be possible to do so?

I have been researching for quite a while to no avail. Any and all answers/suggestions our greatly appreciaated.

Thanks!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Explain why your iPhones keep getting broken, as you say. What are you doing?

3. skookie5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really (and the apple store) didn't truly know how it broke. They said it could have been any number of things, such as third party apps. It doensn't keep getting broken- it is broken (happended this once) in that it won't boot past the apple logo. I am trying to restore it because if I can I would imagine (especially if the apps were the problem in the first place) taht it would fix it and I can then hack it etc. (do whatever I want with it).

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. skookie5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, did that and saw the "in recovery mode." now what?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can restore it in DFU mode (see my sig), but the point is, why did two iPhones get to this state. Something may be wrong with your iTunes or backup in iTunes. Either reinstall iTunes or restore as new this time.

7. skookie5 thread starter macrumors newbie

In recovery...now what?
    Can I restore to system defaults without updating?

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm not sure what you're asking.

When it finishes the restore, click Setup as New. The other option is restore from backup.

9. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

sounds like he has at least one app that is bad. he needs to restore as a new phone to get it working. then if you remember what app you were opening when this problem started delete that app. then you can restore you phone from your backup and you should be ok. unless it is really a problem with your phone.