Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
First off, I have really been wanting a 13 inch macbook pro. However I just feel like I will be spending more money than I want to. I am planning on selling my 17 in core duo iMac but would keep it if I could spend about 300 less than the baseline pro. Here is what I was thinking.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-portege-r705-p25/4505-3121_7-34121943.html

I also thought of the Alienware mx11, I need something portable and with some power. The hdmi ports would save money on cables as I plan on using a Vizio as an external monitor. If I went this route I would have the horsepower of the window machines and could keep the iMac as a media...hub...thing.

Of course I would have to put Linuix on the thing for when I want to be really productive.

I also need windows every once and a while so that's another 120 if I go with the MBP. What would you guys do? I game a little but the pro would be ok, that's why the video card ain't gotta be crazy.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
How often do you need Windows? And do you REALLY need Windows...I mean, could you open said files with a Mac or cloud-based service?

I just ask because I have never once needed Windows in all my years of owning a Mac (since 1996). I have always been able to open up and use any files my PC friends have sent me and any applications I needed were available in Mac versions.

This might save you some bucks.

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
Ya I agree, and I will use Linux as much as possible, but I'm taking Master's courses that require it. So I'd say two-three times a week. It is unfortunately a necessity. Plus games.

hamlin

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada
It depends on what you need a laptop for. If you are in school and NEED windows for things then get a windows comp (I like toshiba I am using one at work right now).

If you want to play games obviously you are going to need windows.

If you just need to type reports/surf net etc. A macbook imo is better than a windows pc due to the ease of use and ui speed.

If you want to look cool and get hot chicks buy an ipad.

hughcanbefound

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
My two cents:

Clearly your studies require you to run Windows sometimes, but since you're posting in a Mac forum you're probably inclined to use OS X for your day-to-day computing. That's why, unless your studies on Windows require a lot of horsepower, go down the virtualisation route. Try VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop.

mstrze is right in most cases: you'll undoubtably be able to open any file your mates send you from their Windows machines.

As for gaming... It all depends on if you play bleeding-edge graphics-power-gobbling FPSs or play a variety including some older numbers. Try the Porting Team (Google) to download Cider wrappers for your favourite games. All the wrappers I've downloaded from there, admittedly for classics such as Red Alert 2, have worked without a hitch on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro.

Best of luck!

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
I'm going to wait until JAnuary to see if anything new comes out, if not I'll go ahead with a purchase. Leaning so heavily with the pro right now, I just can't bring myself to buy a pc...

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I'm going to wait until JAnuary to see if anything new comes out, if not I'll go ahead with a purchase. Leaning so heavily with the pro right now, I just can't bring myself to buy a pc...

Check the MacRumors Buyer's Guide if you are at all flexible in your timing. Wait for the refresh cycle, typically at the end of the first quarter. A faster Mac will work better in virtualization for those times when you want to run Windows but don't want to be saddled with a windows pc.

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
Check the MacRumors Buyer's Guide if you are at all flexible in your timing. Wait for the refresh cycle, typically at the end of the first quarter. A faster Mac will work better in virtualization for those times when you want to run Windows but don't want to be saddled with a windows pc.

Ya the Buyers guide has been checked.... and checked.

As far as speed, I've heard that the 13 MBP does great on an external when you need it.

Thanks for input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.