Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
I use iChat but I want to talk to an ICQ user. Should I use Proteus, Fire, Adium, Trillian, or another program? I'm running Panther 10.3.9. The other person has a PC. Want to know what will work best. Thanks for your thoughtful advice.

ghostee

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Villa Park, IL
Well, Trillian is a PC IM client (and a very good one), so you can't run that on your Mac. My personal favorite is Adium X (www.adiumx.com). You may have to download a few clients to pick for yourself.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, iChat supports ICQ users. You should be able to add their ICQ# to your contact list in iChat.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I definitely prefer Adium X, too. It looks nice, is stable, can be skinned, etc. Also, it's built from open source code, so you have easy access to developers and don't have to be roped into a proprietary system.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
If you are set on getting a new client I'd suggest http://www.adiumx.com . However, iChat does support ICQ contacts who you add like any other contact replacing their account name with the icq number.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
ghostee said:
Also, if I'm not mistaken, iChat supports ICQ users. You should be able to add their ICQ# to your contact list in iChat.
I was pretty sure that wasn't the case, although admittedly I have never tried it myself. Who can confirm this one way or another?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Thanks to all your very thoughtful and kind posts. Have tried the simple route. Added the Icq data into my iChat. Just sent my AIM account information to my friend. Now to see how if goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.