Help with a Iphone 3G issue!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by crimsonking78, Mar 24, 2009.

1. crimsonking78 macrumors newbie

I am the proud new owner of an Iphone 3G. :)

I bought the Incase rubber case when I got the phone, but I am unhappy with it due to it stretching out in just a small amount of time.

What my question is: Does a skin exist that does not require "liquid" to apply?

Essentially, I want the ability to see my Iphone "naked" if you will, the chrome the whole nine yards. And, have something very, very slim.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

What do you have against using liquid to apply it? There are plenty of great skins that meet your criteria, otherwise.

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

You could try those Decalgirl skins, but they don't cover the whole chrome part.

Just be patient and try Zagg or BSE, they work great afterward it's just a PITA to install.

4. crimsonking78 thread starter macrumors newbie

My only reservations are it is a lquid and I don't want it to get into my phone. Of course, I hear I will be without a phone for two days, which I can't do. = (

5. crimsonking78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you had success with this product? Again, I'm leary due to the time without the phone and the potential of liquid getting inside my phone.

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I have Switcheasy's CapsuleNeo on my iPhone 3G. If you don't know it yet, the case provides ultimate protection including a dock cover and a headphone cover. Both of those I've used when I applied Zagg's Invisible Shield to prevet liquid damage, and yes it is PITA but if you are patient enough (like 1hr or more) this is easily doable. My application of the skin was perfect.

7. crimsonking78 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Neocapsule looks very impressive. Too bad they don't have a clear model. I really want to show off the chrome, but alas, I would need to get the Invisible Shield. Could you clear something up for me?

Do I have to leave my Iphone off for two days after application? How long once it is applied can I use my phone? And what inherent risks come from spraying my Iphone with liquid?

8. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

9. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

The answers above are based on my experience only so it may vary depending on how you applied it.

10. crimsonking78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, you have almost sold me on the invisible shield. Does it protect the chrome as well?

Have long have you used it and has it "acted up" on you?

If purchased, I may just connect the dock cable only and some headphones just to close the ports. I don't want to purchase two cases, just one. What do you think?

11. crimsonking78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot to ask:

Since the phone will be carried in my pocket, how much lint does this skin attract? Again, thanks!

12. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

There is a seperate strip on the top and bottom that protects the chrome in those areas. On the sides it covers almost all of the chrome.

I've had an IS on my 1st gen nano since I got it in October of 2005, still looks great.

I've had the IS on my iPhone since October of last year. It will definitely wear more quickly as is comes in and out of your pocket frequently. The great thing about the IS is their unlimited lifetime replacement guarantee. The sides attract a little lint at first, but then whatever adhesive the lint was sticking to wears away. If it starts to peel at the corners, or look grimy (as mine did after ~5 months) you just call them up and get a new one (you pay $3 for shipping).

I wouldn't worry about the liquid sensors, its a very small amount of liquid and there is no reason it should make it's way into the headphone port or dock connector.

13. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Yes it does protect the chrome. Like what theDUB said, the left and right sides should be covered mostly (mine is like a millimeter not covered, PITA installation lol) then it comes with two strips so you could cover the top and bottom chrome. If you can be patient, you could achieve a very good outcome.

And again, like what theDUB said, it will catch dust on areas where the it's not as tacky as before - especially the circular cut at the bottom in my case it happened after 2 months of usage. That was my fault though because I placed a PS clear air jacket after 12hrs of installation and it ruined the bottom IS. Again it varies.

No need to use the cables to cover the port, it might ruin the cables if you're careless. Put some tissue or something so it would absorb any liquid "dripping" in case if you over did your installation.

Mine doesn't attract lint ON the skin, it will attract/collect lint in due time in the corners which will be noticeable in 3 months due in my case.