Help with a mac store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hallie, Apr 3, 2008.

1. hallie macrumors newbie

hey! i´m going to travel to Montreal, but unfortunately i´ll be only for two days, did someone know where to buy a new macbook with 2.4 gHz in any store near Palais des Congrês? any office depot, staples depot or any computer store where i may buy a macbook from new generation? please! i want to know it before travel there!!!!
    thanks,

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Hmm...not all stores will have the new models so it may be a bit tricky. Try going to the Eaton center - there's a mac store there - I've heard good things about them - http://microboutique.ca/

you can also go to the APple retail (official) store in Laval, but i have had bad experiences there...

3. hallie thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

i didn´t know about this store, but i see it´s only 10 min from where i´ll be. thanks, it will be the first place to visit, thaks a lot! the last is the apple store but it´s 2 hours from there it is to laval but i don´t have too much time thanks! i´ll tell you later how did i get the macbook! thanks

4. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

I went to the official Apple Store in Laval... Its quite amazin... was in Canada on Holiday and so got to go to Vancouver and Montreal.... All Apple Products are so much cheaper there then in Uk so i bought lots, Airport Extreme, 80GB 5th gen etc.

BEst of luck, but why do you want to get it from Montreal, where do you live?

5. hallie thread starter macrumors newbie

where i live?

i´m from the wonderful nation of México, but I´ll travel with friends but I´ll be there only three or two days, before visit europe, and i´ve found in canada the macs are more cheaper there than méxico or other latinamerican town! so i decide to save my money to spend on a mac there, in canada!
    It was hard to me to understand the french pages, I´m not too god in french, I´m better in German, but Canada don´t speaks German so, my search was a little limited.

The problem to go to Laval is that is too far and i´ll be in Montreal´s center. So, to visit the city and not loose time on searching a macstore or any computer store who sell macs.... I want it near I´ll be.

Thanks a lot! I´m still searching.

6. jay1097 macrumors member

Hey
    I live in montreal, and you can definitely find macs at most futureshops, best buys, and bureau engros. There are also some independent mac stores near the downtown core.

Near palais des congres you can find this mac store hear
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...73.570032&sspn=0.013956,0.039954&ie=UTF8&z=16

the store is called micro-boutique. It is located in the Eaton center which is a great place to shop and is often a big tourist attraction. You can also get to the Eaton center by taking the metro to the Mcgill metro stop. also if you want to go to futureshop (a large canadian electronics and computer store) go to www.futureshop.com and you can find directions there (the website is english and french)

Anyway if you have anymore questions ill be happy to answer.

7. hallie thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

well, I see that this of asking in the forums is a great choice to all dudes! thanks, really thanks, One question to these guy who live in Montreal... do you know if that when in a product said macbook-french is it menas is onley in french the system and keyboard? or you may find it on english keyboard?

that´s all, I´m happy to find people like all yours, really thanks. If someone come to méxico, I´ll be happy to help if you have any dude, only ask!

Thanks....

8. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

I know best buy is starting to resell Apple Products, so you can try there

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

The apple store in Laval is not 2 hrs away from downtown...it's around 20-30 minutes (if no traffic)
    There are best Buys, Future Shops, and Bureau en Gros (Staples!) all over the place (check bestbuy.ca or futureshop.ca for specific locations) but I didn't recommend those because they usually have a lag in terms of getting the new models. It seems like the "Mac" store would get it first.

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Yeah, like I said...the BB and FS sell all Mac stuff but I work at a Best Buy and we still didn't get the new Macbooks/Macbook Pros yet.
    Don't worry...montreal isn't as french as you think it is...I'm anglophone..and there are huge anglophone communities. When you're downtown though there are a lot of french speaking people. In terms of the keyboard, it's HARDER to get ahold of a French keyboard Mac I find than an English one. Check the model number...if it ends in LL/B It's english I believe and LL/C is french (C = french canadian) but I'm not 100% sure on this. It's always a problem when someone wants to buy a Mac at best buy Because other manufacturers make it clear if it's english or french but the Macs all have the same box.

11. jay1097 macrumors member

The French keyboards are different, they come with the accent like é keys. When i bought my macbook at futureshop I asked for an english keyboard and got one. So ask for the english keyboard and you'll be fine. I'm not sure but I think that the french macs come in french boxes and the english mac come in english boxes, but i could be wrong about that.

On anther note almost everyone in downtown montreal speaks at least some english or they will be willing to get someone who does speak english to help you. It's very rare that I go into a store and get someone who only speaks French. most places hire only bilingual people, so usually there are english speaking staff.

Downtown Montreal is a really great place; most people are friendly, there is a lot of info for tourists and most people will help you out if you ask them. Just don't expect a lot of help from the metro or bus workers, they usually only speak French and are not helpful. So before you go onto the bus or metro make sure you know exactly where it will bring you, or ask a passenger on the bus or metro.

There is a lot of fun stuff to do in Montreal. The night life is amazing; the clubs, the strip clubs, and the easy French girls are worth checking out. Also like I said in my pervious post the Eaton center is a good place to go, there are a lot of museums, fine art galleries, movie theaters (with english, french and indie movies). You can check out Mount Royal, sometimes there is stuff going on around there but I think it's still to early in the year.

Ummm, if you smoke weed, Montreal is a great place with weed everywhere, people usually smoke in board daylight. Beer can be found at all connivance stores (called dépaneurs or just deps.), however they stop selling beer at 23 hours, if you want hard liqueur you need to find an S.A.Q, they are everywhere downtown and your hotel should be able to help you out. If you have some money you can go see a hockey game, it is one of the best experiences in Montreal. Tickets can be bought at the Bell Center or more likely from Scalpers (they speak english). If you like sushi Sho Dan is amazing, google them they have a location that is close to were you are staying.

Anyway have a good time in Montreal and sorry for going so far off topic :D

12. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

I would assume that the shop assistant would give you a choice of KB...
    The OS allows you to choose the language of your choice...

13. hallie thread starter macrumors newbie

wow! that´s great!

allright.

I see Montreal is one of the most touristic places from Canada like Toronto and Vancouver. Well about the Keyboard, I hope to find an English one. well the Center is maybe the only place to visit in those days, but maybe I may escape to other ones. I´ve see that futureshop have in their catalogue online the new macbook with 2.4 gHz and 160 hard drive with superdrive Double layer. That´s why I´ve asked about the keyboard because there said macbook .....- French. If not, it learn where is everything in that´s french keyboard, if the difference is only th è or é well, I use them on my Spanish language because we also used them in our grammar, hope not to be a problem. So i´ll visit Futureshop, then microboutique, Staples Business Depot (hope find something there) and finally the Eaton Center. People often tell me this place where everytihg is easy to find there. Thanks, If someone have another shop don´t worry to tell me please do it! I wont stop until I have my mac on my hands!

Thanks.