Help with a new MacBook please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jamescwarren, Feb 1, 2009.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Hi, I posted this in the MacBook area, but no one replied... I think I put it in the wrong area :eek: Feel free to delete it anyone! Anyways, here it is!

Hi, I am thinking of buying a new MacBook (Pro). I currently back up using Time Machine and wondered when restoring when I first turn on the Mac, do I have to restore EVERYTHING or can I select what I want? Such as music and photos.
    Also, does the 7200RPM hard drive in the pro create lots of noise and heat compared to the 5400RPM version? If I bought a 7200 RPM model and put it in a MacBook (Apple don't let you do this yet) would it be safe? Which models do Apple use?
    Is the Pro big when carrying to school? Portability basically?
    Some of you might have seen my previous posts, but judging by what I will use the laptop for, do you recommend 2.4, 4GB MacBook or the stock 2.5 Pro with upgraded hard drive?...

1. I use light bits of Photoshop CS3 Extended for school that work well on my original 2.0 Core Duo MacBook.
    2. Light video editing, such as iMovie, maybe Final Cut.
    3. Most importantly, music creation. I'm only a beginner on all of this, and the laptop should last me about 3 years at the least. Everybody I have spoken to about the missing FireWire on the MacBook - including people at apple - has advised me that the gap between USB and FireWire is pretty half and half. As a beginner, recording voice, guitar, keyboard, maybe drums... will the lack of FireWire be too much of a problem?

Thanks everyone!!

2. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Firewire will give you more options when it comes to music gear, but I'm fairly sure you can find whatever you need in USB form as well. Some people say Firewire is better for music because it handles faster sustained transfer speeds (which is true), but I don't have any personal experience with music one way or the other.

The MacBook will do everything you need, assuming your video camera can do USB transfers (otherwise you're limited to the white MacBook or the Pro). So the choices you need to make are:
    1. Price - the white MacBook will do it all, and is the cheapest... the Pro will give you better graphics (good if you ever do special effects in your videos) and better gaming, but that's about it.
    2. Size/portability. The Pro has more real estate, but is bigger and heavier. If you're carrying it around a lot, the unibody MacBook would be be your best bet.
    You need to decide where your priorities are and go from there. Any of the current laptop offerings will do the job, it's just a matter of figuring out which one is right for you. :)

4. joshchan macrumors newbie

I'm almost certain that you can select certain types of files that you want to restore to your new MacBook (I assume you'll be using your Time Machine external hard drive for this transfer). I myself did a complete restore from my Time Machine when I bought a new Macbook.

5. svndmvn Guest

I believe a Time Capsule is usable as a simple external hard drive letting you transfer what you need.
    Your best choice would be a Macbook Pro 2.4GHz, a 7200rpm hard drive does make more noise and vibration, but an amount that for some is not really noticeable. Just make sure you get the biggest hard drive you can find, 500GB I suppose. 500GB at 7200rpm are currently being shippes so that can be a nice option, if not, 5400rpm will do ok as well.
    The price difference between the MB 2.4 and the Pro 2.4 is justifiable to my eyes, since I believe the MB is kind of overpriced and I wouldn't recomment a 2.0 for your needs, since you already feel like upgrading from your Core Duo, the bigger the lap from your current machine, the more time you'll want to keep it and the better the experience, IMO. Just make sure you add more RAM when it's cheaper, in less than a year, I hope.

6. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Thanks everyone for replying! With a 7200rpm, will the noise be around the same as my current macbook? You can't really hear much, just the fan going reaaaaly lightly. What 500GB 7200rpm would you suggest? If I were to buy one, how would you go about installing Mac OS X on it? Would you just start up from the install CD? Thanks!

7. svndmvn Guest

this is the one I was talking about. I'd suggest keeping the internal Hard drive that comes with your macbook, since you might need it for warranty, if you need to send your mac in for repairs, same would go for the RAM, and I'd put it in a case, if you buy the Pro, you'd have Firewire and you could copy the whole Image on your new hard drive, it could probably be done without firewire as well, though. Any of the unibodies should be quietter and cooler than your polycarbonate Macbook, the Drive shouldn't be loud, you could still feel the vibration once in a while.

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I think 500gb in 5400rpm versions are available, but 320gb are the largest
    in 7200 versions I believe. I bought my 7200 from Other World Computing (OWC).