Help with a purchase plan.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JSENNY25, Sep 25, 2012.

1. JSENNY25 macrumors member

Hi folks, I have a couple of questions for you regarding a potential purchase.

I have found that I cannot live without a laptop. I am a teacher and use my personal iDevices at school. I found that the new iPad Is great to use as a part of my classroom, but it is not enough for me to run everything I want to in my class.

There are two 2006 white iMacs in my class that kids use for interactive notes and other stuff I have on a website that I have created and maintained.

Anyhow, long story short, I have the newest iMac at home with a larger hard drive and upgraded ram.

I need to run Adobe CS 6 on both my iMac at home and a potential new Apple laptop. The iMac at home will be my primary computer for heavy lifting. I need something that will let me do some quick design work and touch ups in Adobe and some video editing if I'm at school.

Summary:

-Need portable Mac
    -Have iMac at home
    -Home Mac will do more of the work
    -Portable Mac needs to run adobe and video editing as well

Suggestions?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I would bet a specced out MBA could take care of your needs.

3. 184550 Guest

I agree.

I've got a Mid 2011 iMac as my main machine with upgraded ram and recently purchased the entry level MBA 13 inch for lugging around for grad school and I've been very surprised at how speedy it is.

4. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

Video editing

The specced-out air should be okay for lite CS6 work, but what do you mean specifically when you say you want to do video editing? Give me examples of what you want to accomplish? I want to see how much heavy-lifting you will need to do, and if your needs will be met by an air, or if you will need a bit more power to accomplish what you want to do.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

FWIW, I used a 13" MacBook for 3 years, in class for teaching (running CAD software in a Parallels virtual machine, capturing the lectures in iShowU, and doing video editing of captures and video camera to package the lectures for student review) as well as travel where I spend most of my time with landscape photography and process using Photoshop, Aperture, and some other hoggish software. Worked just fine.

So I expect that any model might suit your needs, probably with the exception of the 11" Macbook Air. I currently use a 2011 15" MBP with high res display, which loafs through all of this.

6. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

MB Air if you are lugging it around. They are portable as heck.

7. taipan61 macrumors 6502

a MBA would be a good choice but even if it's not for the heavy lifting i would upgrade the ram to 8gb just to help out with any graphics work you have

8. stchman macrumors 6502a

People think just because the MBA is thin and light that it must be weak on the computing side.

I find it to be very competent in the computing ring. It is far more powerful that a lot of Macs and PCs built just 2 years ago.