Help with a refurbished 27" purchase.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Armo99, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Armo99, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

Armo99 macrumors newbie

Hi guys...I need your input on some things. I just purchased a refurbished 2011 model 27" Imac for $1359. I chose a refurbished instead of the new 2012 model because this is my first Imac and I didnt want to spend too much money on a system where I still have to learn how to operate and plus it was about $500 cheaper if you add the taxes. I am a very light user anyways. My questions are.
    1- Is it easy to adapt to an Imac if you have been using PC for your whole life?
    2-I purchased yesterday and the package is leaving from Rancho Cordova, CA today so does this mean that this Imac was made in USA or was fixed up and repackaged in the USA. How is the quality of Refurbish USA vs Refurbished China? My refurbished Ipad came from China and still in very good working condition.
    3-Would you guys recommend apple care for a refurbished Imac?

Thank you so much for all the input you guys can give me.

2. Dduval macrumors regular

Lifetime windows user here as well, yes it was very easy for me to adapt, love it.
    Not sure about china or USA, but my refurb came from CA as well, purchased off ebay. And yes get the apple care, just purchased my apple care direct from apple for my refurb, 2011 27" 3.1ghz

3. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

I was a life time windows user but I switched to apple about a year ago and I am now completely comfortable using macs and very happy. I will never go back to windows. For me the conversion was a bit of a challenge but well worth it. Be patient and recognize that for a while it will be frustrating because things that you used to do in windows almost unconsciously will be handled a little differently and until you have it figured out and ingrained it can be frustrating. But let me assure you - this is going to be a very positive change in your life, no doubt about it.

4. Armo99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply guys. I understand that switching from windows will be a little challenging and it will take time. How about the quality of Refurbished Imacs? Do you guys recommend apple care? and would there be a way to find out why the product was returned back from the serial numbers?
    Thank you.

5. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

mushroomtip

i just set mine up today and the Beast looks brand new. i didn't hesitate on buying the applecare ,id recommended it just for the piece of mind.

6. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Refurbished iMacs are excellent value, I've bought two in the past, one for my parents and one for myself. I didn't get AppleCare for either of those and Apple still repaired a couple things out of warranty for free, however for your peace of mind, I do recommend AppleCare. I bought it from Amazon for a little less than Apple for my latest iMac last year, my brother bought his (not his Mac though) from B & H and saved even more $. So you might want to check those sources out.

Getting used to the iMac from Windows? --Just be patient and expect to get a little frustrated, but stick to it, enjoy & have fun. If you have a lot of difficulty, I used David Pogue's Missing Manual for a few things when I switched, you may find that book helpful too.

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I switched from PC's to Macs about 6 years ago. Switching to OS X was very easy (I was in my early 50's at the time) and now using a PC is not only painful but slow. The quality of Apple's refurbished machines is second to none, they are almost impossible to tell the difference between a new one and a refurbished unit. When yours arrives you will see what I mean.

Regarding AppleCare I strongly recommend getting AppleCare for either a new or refurbished machine. AppleCare not only extends the warranty to 3 years but also provides 3 years of telephone support. I found the phone support invaluable when I got my first Mac, to answer "how to" questions. You can buy AppleCare anytime during the first year of ownership however do not let it go 366 days or you will lose the opportunity. You can also easily find it discounted on Amazon or other reputable Apple resellers.

You made a wise purchase and hopefully will have many years of enjoyment. After using it a few months don't be surprised if you say to yourself, "Why didn't I do this years ago?"

Regarding the serial number question, you are assuming it was a return. In many cases refurbished machines are not returns but simply unsold new stock. Also Apple refurbs are highly tested and extremely high quality. Apple gives the same warranty as new and as stated the machines are virtually identical to new machines.