Help with a school project

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ghall, May 22, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Hi, I have to do a math project for school. For the project I have to come up with the costs of renovating a house. I have to put in tiles, wall paper, parquet flooring, etc. as well as get some paint. Basically, I need to find a website that has the prices for these items. I tried HomeDepot.com, and that was not helpful at all. Well, thanks for the help.

EDIT: Plus, I have a question. How many square feet does a gallon of paint cover?

2. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

3. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

4. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

That's why we have currency converters. :)

They sure do, but it doesn't look like they have what I need. :( Thanks anyways.

5. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

IKEA has the parquet flooring, tiles, wallpaper you need but not the paint.

6. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Oh your right, I had to do a search for it. Thanks. :)

7. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

8. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Whatever happened to legwork? Actually going to the store (or stores) for comparisons? Just because you can find prices on the internet, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are accurate and will give you a clear idea of the actual costs of renovating etc. Go to the store and TALK to somebody. maybe you'll learn something more than the bare minimum needed.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but I think school projects are to help people learn things, not have the student ask someone else to do the work for them.

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Guess it depends on how detailed the assignment is, but I agree...

Walking into Home Depot (the actual store) will reveal that, say, a reasonably cheap tile costs $0.99/sf, and Home Depot charges, say $2.99/sf for installation. Combine this with the floor plan and you've got one part of the assignment covered.

Paint? Price a gallon of paint and read the fine print on the label to see how many sf it covers. Assume 2 coats, a little more math, et voila.

Assuming you're paying a contractor to do it? Get pricing from one of the Home Depot staff. Or assume 50% parts, 50% labour, and go from there.

You could cover off your entire assignment in one trip.

11. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

One of the most important things schools teach is how to find information. Working the community (like MR), getting info on-line, is part of the task, unless the teacher stipulated otherwise. If the OP had asked us to actually lay out the project, your comments would ring true. He certainly did not ask us to do the assignment. If I were his teacher, I'd give him points for relying on available resources. Knowing how to use a knowledge base, including any experts here, is a fundamental social and strategic skill. (On the other hand, paint smells soooo good!)

12. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Thanks everyone, I am on track to finish this project. My teacher is fine with me using the internet by the way.

13. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

What math course are you in? (Just wondering...)

14. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, it's not really a course. My school is project based, so we don't really have classes, we have projects that incorporate skills based around our interests, and necessary life skills (such as rennovating a house :D ).

15. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Sounds cool! Do I remember correctly that you live on the West Coast? If so, things certainly seem much more laid back in that part of the country.

At the H.S. I'll begin attending next year (and especially in my family), quite a bit of emphasis is put on SATs, GPAs, AP classes, strategic planning, and the Ivy League and my most exclusive New England liberal arts schools.

Progressive education makes so much more sense than traditional education, while I suppose that for my desired professions (law, journalism, or politics), I am in the right place for myself.

Good luck with the (very interesting) project!

16. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Nope, east coast. Rhode Island to be more exact. I love the school, it's really great. Though a lot of our school's money comes from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation :( .

17. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Still neat. RI is a cool place. Are you anywhere near Providence? We stayed there for a night on our way to western Mass. last year, and it was really neat. Brown and RISD have awesome campuses!

18. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Yeah, I do. Actually, next year I'm going to try and get into Brown. Not an easy thing to do, but I really want to go there, so I'll definitaly do my best. RISD is nice as well, but it's pretty low on my list of schools.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You know, there may be some folks that actually do this kind of thing in your area that would be willing to share with you some of their expertise. You could learn a lot this way.