Help with a unique iPhone problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jordanf2000, Aug 14, 2012.

1. jordanf2000 macrumors newbie

Or maybe not so unique.

I've searched for answers to this and the only threads I can find on any site are from 2010 so I'm hoping something's changed since then.

Here's the Cliffs Notes version of my story:

I've got a 3GS, backed it up regularly to my computer, which I in turn backed up regularly to an external hard drive. Computer crashes, I don't have money to buy a new computer so I just use my iPhone and iPad. Last August, my jailbroken iPhone crashes while on vacation and I use my friend's computer to restore it to factory settings, losing everything - except in the back of my head, I know there's a backup of my phone sitting on my external HD and that I can figure out how to go about restoring it when I get home. Well, weeks turn into months and I end up not restoring it from the backup and now I have a years worth of texts, emails, and photos on my phone.

With the new phone coming out, is there anyway to merge the two backups so I can take everything off of the original backup and then everything off my current phone and put them onto my new iPhone next month? Really all I care about are the text messages and photos. Like I said I've googled this every way I can think of, but the most recent search results are all from 2010 for some reason.

Thanks for any and all help!

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Dont think there is a way... I did the exact same thing only I just couldn't be asked to restore it even though I had a perfectly working Mac.... The save files are all packaged up and there is no way to really get into them unless you are really skilled at computers :D.
    Sorry

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

There is a way to access your backups, but you can't merge two back ups or pick and choose what you want to restore unfortunately.