Help with A/V Cables!!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Bstam91, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Bstam91 macrumors newbie

Dec 26, 2009
    I just got a :apple: (just wanted to use the cool icon!!) 32 gb. 3rd Gen. Touch yesterday. I was wondering, in order to hook my iPod up to my TV to view movies on it, do i have to have the $50 cable from Apple, or can i get away with buyin one off ebay for 9 bucks?? I'm pretty sure i need one to hook into the 30 pin connector, not the audio jack.....but im not sure. Please Help!!
    Thanks, Bo
  2. zacksba Guest

I am not sure about the ebay ones but I got the composite av cables from apple for my ipod touch and they work great. They do plug into the 30pin connector, and they also come with a power plug, which I believe if you bought from apple separately, costs $29. I have seen the apple cables in Walmart and I think best Buy, same price, but another purchase location.

My wife actually got them for me for my Bday in Sept. but I told her the wrong ones which were the component cables. I just needed the composite av cable (for my needs). I just exchanged them at the apple store for the right ones.

My wife just got me for xmas the dock with remote that plugs into the av cable so I am excited to try that out.
  3. BobC macrumors newbie

Apr 15, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Other manufacturers...

Apparently, any 3rd party company can license the special IC chip from Apple that goes within a cable (usually inside the 30-pin connector) and "authorizes" the video output on the more recent iPods (post-Ipod Video, 5th gen). I believe Belkin makes an authorized iPod-compatible video cable which sells for around $25 or so, and there may be others, since I'm quite sure I saw one at Radio Shack. :cool: