Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scarredtaka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Sorry about the abbreviated title. I just wanted to make sure the point got through.
I really like Specks See Thru Casing for the Macbook Pro, and having just ordered my macbook pro, would like to purchase one. However, I have seen several reviews on the internet, and most of them say that a lock will no longer fit on the laptop due to the extra thickness brough on by the case. I will be taking the laptop with me on a trip this summer and will be leaving it in a hotel room during the day. I will need to be able to secure the laptop. Does anyone know of a lock that fits? Is there another solution? Filing away the plastic on the case? Putting the laptop into another case, which can be secured?

Anyone who has ideas is welcome to share.

Thanks,

-ST-

scarredtaka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Possibly, but most likely not. We're staying in smaller hotels to save money. We're also trying to get a flavor for the country. I'm thinking that I will just carry the laptop everywhere I go with my daypack. Should I still get a lock?

-ST-

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
I work in a educational environment, and even with locks, notebooks still get stolen. I'm convinced a cable lock will just discourage the casual thief, but the one who really wants your notebook will find a way to steal it.

I can't imagine leaving a notebook in a hotel room. That's just begging to have it stolen, IMHO.

MD

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Another thought - I have a red Speck see-through case for my 15" MBP, and I really like it, but then again, I like the polished aluminum of the MBP case, too.

The plastic is pretty thin, maybe a millimeter thick, so if you wanted to enlarge an opening it would be pretty easy to do.

To give you an idea, Speck had a problem in the initial build with the top cover rubbing the edge of the bottom cover near the hinge. The fix was to take a file and file the edge down slightly. Speck offered to do it for anyone who wanted to send their cover in, too.

Anyway, it's not a big deal to file on it - you could easily open up the hole of you needed to.

MD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.