Help with accelerating or decreasing speed

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by WoOdPiPeS, Aug 5, 2009.

1. WoOdPiPeS macrumors member

Hi all,
    I have notice that the P2 metadata I imported as ProRes clips, doing Log & Transfer, gets very bad resoults when accelerating or decreasing velocity... as well as when doing a simple "reverse".
    This is not happening (not so crap) when applied to the clips I captured with a Blackmagic, to ProRes.
    Do you know why? It's a FC known issue?
    I my project there are basically P2 files, recorded as DVCPRO50, but olso captures 10bit, converted to ProRes.
    The sequence timeline is setted to ProRes...

How must I do to get good resoults when downloading or uploading the clip velocity?

Thanks in advance,

WP.

2. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

So, nobody can help? any idea? C'mon please...

WP

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

First off, your post is a bit hard to understand. By "P2 metadata" do you mean footage captured onto P2 cards and by "velocity" do you mean speed?

So, is it not happening at all or is it not happening as bad?

What are captures 10bit converted to ProRes? What did you capture at 10bit and what kind of ProRes did you convert it to?

What are the exact sequence settings. Did you use an Easy Setup or did you just change around the settings until you got what you thought you wanted?

Lethal

4. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Yes, sorry,.. yes to both questions

No, I can't see this behavior with non compressed footage (converted to ProRes422)

Attached Files:

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, definitely a few problems going on here. ;)

I need a little more info to help me get a complete picture of what you are working with. Are you working in NTSC or PAL and why are you capturing as uncompressed then converting that to ProRes? Why not work in uncompressed or capture straight to ProRes? What are the complete specs of your Mac and what version of FCP are you using?

And don't worry about your english. :)

Lethal

6. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Ok, let's go...
    I'm working in PAL.
    I don't really do the betacamSP captures, my mate is doing that on a PC, with a blackmagic decklink. He hasn't got any editing software, so he's capturing with the very simple one, offered by Decklink, and no other codec or container options under windows xp (but this is another story...).
    As I'm editing in FC v.6.06, I need to convert those uncompressed .avi captures to a FC manageable container (.mov), trying to keep all the possible quality... so I use Compressor for converting the uncompressed .avi 10bit captures, to Apple ProRes422 (.mov container).
    But the main footage are P2 files, ... and there is where I'm having problems. FC 6 does not have many options to import that files... so, as I know, they are converted to ProRes when doing Log and Transfer. So, that's the reason why I convert the 10bit captures to ProRes too, and why the Sequece settings are setted to ProRes. Am I doing ok?

I'm working with a MacPro 2008, 2,8 octocore, 16Gb Ram, no Raid.

Thanks for helping me! I know this is not the right project for starting my working life,... but that's the story!

Thanks,

Wp

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The footage from the P2 card stays in the DVCPro codec when it's brought into FCP. It doesn't get changed to ProRes it just gets 're-wrapped' from it's native MXF container into .MOV but the codec stays the same. Since most of your footage is DVCPro50 then just convert the AVIs your buddy gave you into DVCPro50 using compressor and edit using the DVCPro50 PAL Easy Setup in FCP.

If you don't want to convert all the AVIs into DVCPro50 you can mix the ProRes and DVCPro50 in the same timeline and that shouldn't be a problem. You'll just have to decide if you want the sequence to be DVCPro50 or ProRes. Again, make sure to use the Easy Setups so that all the settings are correct because the sequence settings in the screen shot you posted are very wrong.

Lethal

8. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

So, do you think that with this settings I'll not have those problems with speed? I'll try it and I'll let you know.

Thanks for helping!

WP

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Fixing the settings would be the first thing I'd try 'cause the Frame Size, Aspect Ratio, Field Dominance, and Editing Timebase are wrong. And when you are working w/interlaced footage the Field Dominance and Timebase a very import in getting proper playback.

Lethal