Help with ACD Ports

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NSWMaps, Jun 16, 2008.

1. NSWMaps macrumors member

I have an old 20" apple cinema display that I would like to hook up to my Mac. I purchased a VGA to mini-DVI adapter to hook it up through, but when I tried to connect the VGA side of the adapter i found that hey did not match. I was wondering what port this possibly could be able to hook up to, and why this ACD has such a foreign port, as I thought apple used VGA for video input.:confused:

Here are pictures of the 4 cables that run from my ACD. Also, do all 4 of this have to be connected for me to use this monitor?

Thx in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. you have the wrong adapter.
    Mini-DVI will not fit DVI

2. you cannot use analogue signal with Apple Cinema Display. VGA cannot be used as an input signal on digital only LCD even if you have the proper connectors.

3. You might need the correct adapter, assuming you have DVI output on computer. What old computer do you have that don't even have DVI?

If your cinema display is mostly plastic (I think that's what you have), then you need the adapter described here.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=907034&tstart=105

If you cinema display is mostly metal, then it takes DVI.

3. NSWMaps thread starter macrumors member

My Imac is brand new, 2.66 Ghz Aluminum. I have a VGA to mini DVI adaptor, the cord from the ACD, the big one, is not a VGA which is why I bought the adapter. My Imac has a mini DVI port. No DVI port. My ACD is aluminum 20" in a style that is similar to my iMac.