Help with activation / choosing a number. New to AT&T for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by withe011, Jun 12, 2010.

1. withe011 macrumors regular

I'm new to the iPhone and swapping from Verizon to AT&T to get the iPhone 4. I'd like to preorder the phone from Apple and have it shipped to my address. I have a few questions.

1. When I connect it to iTunes to activate, will I be able to choose a cell number or will one be predetermined for me? ( I don't want my old Verizon number to be ported)

2. Can I apply a FAN / Premier discount through my university during the iTunes activation process?

3. If no to question 2, can I call AT&T to get the discount applied before the end of the 1st billing cycle?

The reason I don't want to preorder with AT&T and have it shipped there is because those preorders may not be available until the 25th according to their website.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

2) Disclaimer: I didn't activate though iTunes, so this may not necessarily apply. I activated my family plan in an AT&T store, where we 'applied' our FAN discount. However, it took a few billing cycles for it to actually go through and apply the discounts, so you may not be able to get it on the first month.

3. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Unless it's changed... you need to add the university discount in store.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

1. You dont pick a number, a random one is given to you automaticly and its already predetermined before you activate it and theres also a sticker with your name and new number on the iphone box.
    2. You can Apply your Fan discount either online or by going into an AT&T corporate store.
    3. yes, you can also call them and have it added to your account after you received and activated your iphone. But like mentioned above it might take a billing cycle or 2 before it goes into effect.
    4. any more questions? :D