Help with adding more SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcanedo92588, Jul 22, 2014.

1. mcanedo92588 macrumors newbie

So I just purchased THIS and was wondering what exact type of SSD I would need in order to replace the existing small 128gb one with something much more adequate like 500gb or so? I did some research and found that the Samsung 840 is my best option, but there are like 4 types that are listed on their website. From one of the only videos I could find of someone doing something similar with their MacBook pro (late 2012) with retina, it looked to be the msata version, is that correct? Just wanting to purchase the right thing the first time. To clarify as well, you can't just buy the normal sata version and make it fit, or remove it from its case? This is my first Mac but I am fairly computer literate with PCs. Thanks

2. Crugga macrumors regular

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Seems to me you didn't quite do enough research. That rMBP uses a blade-type SSD with a proprietary mSATA connection (not the regular mSATA).

No, you cannot hack a 840EVO to pieces and hope it fits, nowhere in the chassis is there a space where a 2.5'' HDD would fit.

AFAIK, OWC are the only ones out there producing a replacement SSD for this rMBP, and it isn't cheap.

4. mcanedo92588 thread starter macrumors newbie

So should I instead just do the hdd in place of my optical drive thing people are doing? I ordered the MacBook Sunday and it won't be here until next Monday so I always have the option to just swap for a model with more memory if possible also.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

What optical drive?
    The Retina Macbook Pro doesn't have an optical drive, and no space to install one. The only internal storage is the flash storage, which as already mentioned, is quite limited for replacements/upgrades.
    Here's a couple of sizes: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Air-Retina/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-2012-Drive-Internal-Flash

6. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

only the 2012 and prior MacBooks have an optical drive and upgradable drive. Your only option is to pay Other World Computing for a replacment mSATA drive. I'm afraid you're out of luck without paying the price.

This is why I don't own a current model MacBook.

7. mcanedo92588 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for sounding ignorant, as stated I am new to owning a Mac. Wanting to be able to upgrade the ssd with he samsung 840, which model would I need? I am trying to find cheaper options, maybe stay under $1400, but have around 8gb and either 500gb ssd or 1tb hdd.

8. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Cancel your order and order this one if you don't need Retina:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...133-inch-macBook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-i5

RAM and hard drives are cheap to upgrade. Retina MacBooks use custom hard drives.

9. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Are you talking about a total investment of under 1400? If so, the Mac was 1059 and if you go with the replacement SSD from OTW for 389 you will be coming in at 1448 before taxes. You may want to return what you've ordered and do a little more research before you buy another one.

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You can't upgrade to the Samsung 840.

The Retina MacBook Pros use a custom blade SSD. There is no HDD.

11. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Correct.

12. mcanedo92588 thread starter macrumors newbie

Couldnt I just get the $300 owc one instead of the pro one?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDA12R480/

13. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

14. mcanedo92588 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll probably just end up going with the 480gb owc one for $300. Any know what the value of the 128gb model that will be coming in my machine would be if I tried to sell it to help pay for the upgrade? Thanks again for all the help everyone.

15. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

16. orestes1984, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Hard to tell really... anywhere in the vicinity of $50 to $200 on eBay with sold listings. It really depends, it wont be a highly in demand part as most people are looking to at least fit a 256GB SSD now particularly with the prices of new non-NAND drives and the drop in prices where you can get a 256GB drive for under $200.

A cheaper option may be looking at fitting an external drive and using USB3 if you want more storage capacity, it's almost as fast as SATA with USB3 rated at 5GB/s and caddies are inexpensive. Of course that depends if you want your additional storage internally.

By rights a 128GB drive should be enough for all of your apps and productivity documents, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc so you may not need more than 128GB internally. I would see how you go first and then look at upgrading rather than just spending a whole lot of money on an internal drive you don't actually need.

17. Crugga macrumors regular

Something I was advised is that its probably worth keeping the original drive incase you need to return the laptop on warranty. Apparently some people have had issues getting repairs done because of a non original drive.

Another option would be an external drive which are really cheap now and your machine will accept usb3 which is really pretty fast, depends if you need all your data on your laptop all the time, ive got a 512gb drive in this but its rarely above about 50gb full as I just transfer none important files to an external.

18. laurihoefs, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Not quite: Transcend Debuts JetDrive SSD Upgrade Kits Up to 960GB for MacBook Air, Retina Macbook Pro

Of course neither the OWC or Transcend SSDs are compatible with late 2013 models, but the OP mentioned a late 2012 model, so...

Are you getting the 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, or are you ordering a newer model?

All Retina MacBook Pros use a non-standard SSD blade. Not mSATA, not M.2, but Apples own non-standard connector.

The 2012 and early 2013 models can be upgraded with Transcend and OWC drives, but the currently available late 2013 models use a newer PCIe-based blade which, for the time being, can not be upgraded. For the newest Retina MacBook Pros, there are no third party SSDs currently available.

Do not order the OWC drive, if you are getting a 2013 Retina MacBook Pro. And if you already ordered the 2012 rMBP, I'd still recommend the cheaper and faster Transcend SSD over the OWC one.

19. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Read the above posts more carefully, you <cannot> do this.