Help with Administrator/password/keychain login problems...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iSwitchd, Sep 13, 2010.

1. iSwitchd macrumors member

Sorry in advance for my novel here, but I need some help so I'm gonna explain (in detail, the best I can) of the issues I'm experiencing.

A week ago, my computer (Macbook) "crashed". When I powered it up, it would go to the grey apple screen, then it would go to a blue screen, then it would switch to a light blue screen, then back to the darker blue screen, etc and never fully boot into OSX.

I finally found my install discs for OSX and reinstalled my operating system from scratch, formatted my hard drive, and started new.

Once I reinstalled, I realized how outdated and different everything looked... and I realized I was running OSX 10.4. So from there, I found my Leopard disc (10.5), put that in, and "Upgraded" my system to 10.5.

And basically here's where I'm at now:

Now that I have a fresh install, obviously, I need to run the Software Update to ensure that I'm up to date with everything, and here's where my problem is. When I click "INSTALL", the dialog/popup box pops up and asks my for my NAME and PASSWORD. (Before.... It would already have my admin name in the dialog box, and all I had to do was type in my password, and voila, it would install)

Well now.. it doesn't have my admin name in the box anymore, so I typed it in, along with my password, and it says "YOU MUST TYPE IN AN ADMINISTRATOR NAME AND PASSWORD TO MAKE CHANGES TO SOFTWARE UPDATE" But, I did type in my name and password and it's basically acting like they're wrong. but they're not.

My Admin name is my name, Jordan Johnson, and the password is always the same that it was. So I don't know what to do here. I tried typing in "JORDAN" as the name (rather than Jordan Johnson), with still no avail. I tried typing in ADMIN and ADMIN as the username/password combo... with no luck. I tried leaving them blank, with no luck.

Then, I put the Leopard disc back in.. went to Disc Utility, then went to RESET PASSWORD, and typed in my password again. Restarted the system, retried the above set of procedures... and it still says the same thing:

"YOU MUST TYPE IN AN ADMINISTRATOR NAME AND PASSWORD TO MAKE CHANGES TO SOFTWARE UPDATE"

When I go into System Preferences > USERS I see that it says "JORDAN JOHNSON (JORDAN)... So I tried typing that in as my NAME when I try to do the software update

NAME: Jordan Johnson (Jordan)
    PASSWORD: xxxxxxx

And nothing.

I tried clicking on the lock icon (which is in fact LOCKED), and nothing.

What am I missing here? Somehow when I reformatted/updated.. I lost something along the way.

Any pointers on just completely resetting my admin name/password? Or anything at all? It's super frustrating because I can't update my system. I cant use my Magic Mouse because I can't update the friggen software (the basic mouse functions will work... but I can't use the multi touch gestures or anything on it)

But it somehow appears that I have iTunes 10 installed, because I see that it has the new icon... but I don't really know how that got updated, since it won't accept my damn password.

Thanks in advance guys. I'm open to any and all suggestions to alleviate this headache. :D :apple:

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

If I were you I would wipe the drive and install leopard fresh. It is possible with going from 10.4 to 10.5 that users can become corrupt (its rare but it happens). Since you obviously have not made progress on getting your system up and running I would do the proper fix by wiping and installing leopard directly not an upgrade. The other issue is did you make multiple users or is the user you are speaking of the first user made on the computer?

Cheers

3. iSwitchd thread starter macrumors member

Ok... I tried to do a fresh install with my Leopard disc, but when I insert the disc, and click "INSTALL OSX" the same dialog box that asks for my username/password pops up and tells me my password/name is again invalid. :confused:

4. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Try this insert the disc reboot the computer hold down the C key during startup to force the computer to boot from the DVD. This should bypass the password issue unless just the act of inserting the disc makes a password dialog popup.

Cheers