help with AFP sharing on macbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sluggo, Jan 17, 2009.

1. sluggo macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I tried to access my NAS from my macbook today, using AFP. I believe it was partially working. On the mac side I didn't configure anything in particular. The NAS was setup with 3 AFP shares with unique names. When I opened the Finder on the mac, the NAS (FreeNAS) appeared. Clicking on the "freenas" brought up the three shares. I didn't specifically mount any shares, but obviously the mac picked them up because the unique names were there. As well, I was able to briefly browse the folders.

The problem is that the connection to the shares does not last long. Sometimes I can't even click on the NAS name and bring up the shares, I just get a neverending "connecting...." Even worse, once this has happened I am unable to do any further work with the network. Even web browsing using Safari ceases to work. Even worser worse, the mac will not reboot properly. I have to do a hard shutdown.

For what it's worth, the same thing appears to happen when I try to mount a samba share such as smb://192.168.100.10. It may briefly connect but before too long Finder pretty much hangs, as well as the interent....

I have no idea where to start on this, where to find relevent logs, etc. My guess is that the problem primarily lies with the mac, since the NAS should obviously have no effect on things like safari and shutting down/rebooting.

thanks

2. sluggo thread starter macrumors newbie

I updated the smc firmware and that seems to have solved the freezing issue. The afp sharing is working differently now though. Clicking on "freenas" does bring up any shares. I try to mount the share with afp://192.168.100.10 and I get a message that it is unable to mount. I'm able to mount a smb share though, so I don't think it's a permission error. I don't get any errors when I check the console log.

thanks