Help with airplay...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by shandyman, Nov 28, 2010.

1. shandyman Suspended

I've just been trying out using airplay and tried playing a video from a webpage onto the ATV2, but it's only doing audio, anyone got any idea why? i was trying to use the BBC iPlayer and tvcatchup.com, but both with same results. Also cinexplayer app does this too.

Also i have no airplay icon when i'm listening to music in the ipod app, but i get it for video, thought you could stream music out?

i presume we have to wait for last.fm, VLC, etc to be updated to use airplay?

2. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

Video Airplay only works with video from the native Youtube and video apps at the moment. It doesn't stream from webpages or third party apps.

I don't know why you aren't getting Airplay from the music App though. You certainly should be able to.

3. shandyman thread starter Suspended

i was sure i read that someone did airplay with the BBC iPlayer, can't remember where i saw it now tho. annoying!!

well video is there, but music doesn't have it, where is it meant to be in the iPod app?

4. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

On the iPad it's at the top, next to the volume control. On the iPhone it's at the bottom next to the fast forward button.

5. shandyman thread starter Suspended

hmmm weirdly it's now appeared! how bizarre

6. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

Very strange, but at least it's going now.

7. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I'm assuming you're trying to stream stuff from an iPhone?

Video AirPlay is very limited at the moment, so it doesn't work with many apps at all.

If you jailbreak your iPhone you can install a tweak called AirPlayEnabler, which will enable the feature for all apps that use video - it doesn't work with all video content yet tho.

However, it will work with TVcatchup.com… unfortunately not with BBC iPlayer.

Check out these threads where we have been discussing the tweak for the last couple of days.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1055237

and a list of working apps/sites:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1055709

8. shandyman thread starter Suspended

ta but not even remotely interested in jailbreaking.

9. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not for everybody.

I'm hoping apple will expand the airplay capabilities quickly, as I'd prefer to use it as it should be used out of the box without needing to hack it!