Help with Airport Express and AirPrint

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AlaskaMoose, Dec 20, 2014.

1. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

I replaced a Belkin router with an Airport Express, and now I can't get two iPads to find the printer. The printer is a wireless/USB HP Laserjet P1102w that is AirPrint ready and had been working fine with the old router.

If I connect the printer to the iMac or to the Airport Express via USB, then I can print from any of the Macs at home, but not from the iPad. If I disconnect the printer from the USB port the printer is shown in idle (green light next to the printer's name), but now I can't print from the Macs nor the iPad (it acts as if the printer is not in the wireless network).

The new version of Airport Utility does not give me an option to add a printer to the network, so I am running out of options. I have tried everything, including turning the iPad, router, and iMac off, and then starting the Airport Express, and over a minute later the computer and the iPad. I have also deleted the printer and added it again using the Scanner/Printer utility.

Any ideas?

2. AlaskaMoose thread starter macrumors 65816

Update to my post

I finally solved the problem I was having (above) by following the steps outlined by HP below:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02847467&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en#N2197

Anyway, there is a way to add a WPS printer on the newer versions of Airport Utility instead of "adding a new client" manually as instructed by HP (this part of the instruction related to older versions of Airport Utility). Regardless, it's not very difficult to figure it only you look at the options of Airport Utility's top menu (at the top of the window).

The first thing to do is to create a wireless network before a "new client" (a new WPS printer) is added to the wireless network.

I lear new things each day :)