Help with Airport Express - nothing but constant drops with streamed music

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BadboyHouse, Jun 3, 2012.

1. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

I bought an Airport Express last weekend to allow us to stream music from our MacBook Pro and iPhones.

Almost every time that we use it the streamed music constantly cuts out. I might get 20 minutes at best without any interruptions.

I want to figure out what's causing this. I've been doing some troubleshooting and checks which I've detailed below.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could shed any light on this.

- When streaming from the MacBookPro, when the music cuts out, I cannot access the internet on the MBP OR from my iPhone. Websites simply don't load.

- When the music cuts out, I checked the wireless status on the MBP - first check the transmit rate was 11 and the RSSI was -56. Second check the transmit rate was 54 and the RSSI was -43. (My router is a Netgear DG834G).

- When streaming from my iPhone, the same thing happens - internet access on the MBP and iPhone stop and I can't access any websites.

- If I stop streaming all together, internet access on both devices is restored.

- When I'm streaming from the MBP, if I try to visit a website on my iPhone, this *seems* to cause the music to cut out.

- All of these tests were done whilst I was sat right next to my wifi router. The airport express is perhaps 18 foot away max.

- There are no other devices in the room that would cause any interference.

So to sum up I'm certain that this is an interference issue. Why it's happening though I don't know.

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I had this issue and since had it resolved. Check out my thread here. It may be of some help to you.

3. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

I was wrong about other devices in the room that might cause interference - we have our cordless landline phones - one base station downstairs and one upstairs - with a cordless phone for each.

So far, with the base stations and handsets fully powered off I've not had any cutouts.

Fingers crossed.