Help with Airport Express & Self Assigned IP Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jhkaplan, Dec 29, 2011.

1. jhkaplan macrumors regular

I've googled and searched everywhere, and have not found a solution to my problem. I'm so frustrated trying to set this thing up..

I have an airport express base station and a netgear powerline adaptor.

I know both work independently; the AEX has worked previously with creating a network and extending a network. The powerline adaptor provides great signal strength when plugged in directly to my Macbook Pro via ethernet.

I'm trying to use the AEX and Netgear together to create a new wireless network in one hard to reach section of our house. I plug in the netgear and the AEX, connect via ethernet, and go through the AEX setup wizard to create a new network.

Everything seems to go as it should, and soon the AEX light is a solid green. However, when I connect to the wifi network, i get the exclamation point on top of the wireless signal, and a quick look in sys prefs>>network shows that I have a self assigned IP address and cannot connect.

Here's what I've tried as fixes:
    1. Renew DHCP Lease
    2. Hard reset AEX and start again
    3. Reset both modem and AEX, let both sit for 10-15 min and try setup again

Can anyone offer any other advice or assistance? This is beyond frustrating!

Thanks!

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Apple suggests making it a roaming network.

"For 802.11n Wi-Fi base stations, creating a roaming network is by far the best choice. This will provide the best throughput between the base stations and your Wi-Fi devices.

This set up requires that your Wi-Fi base stations are connected via Ethernet.

The primary base station provides DHCP Services, while the extended base station will be configured to use bridge mode.

All Wi-Fi base stations within the roaming network should use the same passwords, security type (Open/WEP/WPA), and network name (SSID).
    "

EDIT* Here's the link.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4145

EDIT2* Here's Apple's step by step for creating a roaming network. Maybe give this a shot.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4260

3. jhkaplan thread starter macrumors regular

Wouldn't extending current network have the airport express just connect to my (faint) wifi signal from the other network, and amplify/extend it?

Just so we're clear, here's my setup:

(on other side of the house)
    Modem
    connected directly to Airport Extreme.
    AEX creates wifi network1 available over most of the house.
    Netgear powerline adapter connected via ethernet to Airport Extreme.

(current area of house)
    Netgear powerline
    connected via ethernet to airport express.

The airport express can pick up a faint wifi signal from the airport extreme, but when i extend it, it does not work very well; thus the need for the powerline.

----------

hah! sorry to doubt you before even trying your solution. Worked like a charm! Thank you!

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

It's all good. :) Glad it worked for you.