Help with airport extreme (5 generation)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chococat, Feb 20, 2012.

1. chococat macrumors newbie

I need help...

I'm trying to conncect to the internet and my imac doesn't seem to recognice it?

I've read the instructions and I believe I did everything right acoording to the guide...but when I want my imac to recognice it and use the internet wirelessly it doesn't work.

Also, I did all the 3 passwords that asked me to create (base password, wireless password and...disk password?)

the guest I didn't create a password...but I thought that if I "uncheck it" (or trying to leave it off) other people won't be able to use my wireless...but when I tried my netbook to search for a wireless connection my wireless shows up and I can surf the internet...?

and the airport extreme never lid in green...it was always "flashing amber"

I believe I already did an update on airport utility but i'm not sure since i'm so confuse trying to figure out how to make my computer to recognize it and how to keep my wireless private so that not other people can use it.

Also I'm new to wireless internet connection o_o

can someone please help me how to start the airport extreme right?

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

First off, you need to be more precise and clear in your presentation of what is going on... It "hurts" trying to read your post, if english is a second language then I apologize but the fact remains.

You state that you created all three passwords and in the next sentence you stated that you "guess you didn't." Which is it? If you have no password setup anyone can freely access your wifi.

On your iMac, is your wifi turned on? On your iMac, can you see other wifi AP, just not yours? if the AEBS is flashing amber, it means there is something there for you to look at, i.e. firmware update, double-NAT'ing, DNS error, etc... You have to identify the issue to resolve the amber light.

If you want to keep your wifi hidden, you will select the "Create a closed network" option under Airport > Wireless > Wireless Network Options. You will not be able to search for your wifi at that point in time, you will have to manually join your wifi, i.e. by entering the name you created for your wifi network.

For your wifi settings, what mode are you running in? How far away is your iMac from the AEBS, can your netbook access the wifi right beside your iMac?

3. chococat thread starter macrumors newbie

english is my second language.

and I meant "guest" because it gave me the option to create a password for the "guest" but I just "unchecked" a square button thinking that it will deactivate the guest account.

I did all the following and I created all the three passwords, but I don't know if it worked...

Before, I was able to see my wifi's name, but later on it stopped showing up.

"if the AEBS is flashing amber, it means there is something there for you to look at, i.e. firmware update, double-NAT'ing, DNS error, etc..." where can I find the "firmware update"? and sorry but I don't know what is double-NAT'ing and DNS error...where can I identify the issues?

"You will not be able to search for your wifi at that point in time, you will have to manually join your wifi, i.e. by entering the name you created for your wifi network." How or where can I manually join my wifi?

For your wifi settings, what mode are you running in?
    what mode do you mean?

My Airport Extreme is next to my Imac and my netbook was able to access my wifi. But RIGHT NOW i'm using my internet Motorola SB5120 Surfboard Cable Modem.

my apologies if my writing is not the best.

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

As far as mode, are you running in Dual-mode, 802.11a, b, g, n?

When it comes to the errors, you'll see yellow circles beside the main information screen of the AEBS. If your AEBS isn't hooked up to the modem, that could be another reason you have the yellow flashing LED.

It should automatically let you know there's a new firmware out there if there is one.

Click on the wifi icon at the top of your iMac screen. Scroll down to "Join Other Network" and follow the prompts.

Tell me this... When your AEBS is hooked up to your modem, is the LED flashing yellow or solid green? When your AEBS is hooked up to your modem, can your netbook see your network, if yes, can your iMac see your network?

5. chococat thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I know what mode i'm running? (with my Motorola internet cable)

I haven't tried connecting the AEBS again but when I clicked on "join other network" and looked at "security" there's so many options to choose and I don't know which one works for me...

there's wep password, wep 40/128-bit hex, LEAP, wpa personal...etc.

I heard about wpa personal and wpa2 personal, but what is it? what is wpa enterprise?

6. psxguru macrumors 6502a

I'd forget about the wifi part for now.

If it's flashing amber it usually means it's not talking to the modem and internet.

Connect your mac to the AE with an ethernet cable. You need to make sure your internet works first!

7. chococat thread starter macrumors newbie

yaayyy!!!
    I finally have internet wireless! = D

I reset the AE from behind and did the steps by steps and it finally worked!

but when I was done it tells me that I have 2 problems that needs to be fix...

the first one I already fixed it but the second one it tells me about "No DNS Servers" "this apple wifi base station doesn't have any DNS server addres and might have trouble connecting to the internet"

what is DNS and what does it do? 0_0

I clicked the "ignore" button but is this someting that needs to be fixed?

8. chococat thread starter macrumors newbie

"No DNS Servers" "this apple wifi base station doesn't have any DNS server addres and might have trouble connecting to the internet"

does anyone know what is DNS server? :confused:

9. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

A DNS server is used to translate the domain part of a URL, for example www.macrumors.com, to an IP address which can be used by the computer to find the appropriate server on the network.

You could compare it to making a phone call. If you only know the name of the person you want to call and not the phone number, you have to ask someone for it.

10. psxguru macrumors 6502a

You should be getting the DNS servers via DHCP from your ISP?

Otherwise you could manually set them to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google's dns servers)

11. Bostonrs macrumors newbie

Cannot remember Airport Extreme password

Hi All,
    We set up our Airport Extreme five years ago and now we want to connect an Airport Express.
    It is asking for our Airport Extreme password which we have forgotten.
    Anyone know how we can locate it without having to reinstall it again?
    thanks,
    Believe in Boston!

12. blevins321 macrumors 68030

No, unfortunately there isn't a way to recover it without restoring to factory settings.

13. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Actually you can reset your password if you perform a Soft Reset on the Airport Extreme. You get a 5 minute window to make changes. Here are two links about it:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3372
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3728

You shouldn't have to do a factory reset for this.

-Kevin