Help with Airport Extreme Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by apatel87, Apr 10, 2010.

1. apatel87 macrumors regular

Hi, I just bought a new Airport Extreme, the previous generation MB763LL/A, and I was having some difficulty setting it up. I looked around but didnt find any easy setup guide or a video on youtube. I know that setup is supposed to be very easy but for some reason it isnt for my dad. So according to him (he is setting it up on his home network. The hardwired computer will be Windows 7 machine and the other computers htat will be accessing it will be Macbook Pros, iPhones, iPod touches), the Airport Utility initially recognizes the Airport but as he goes through the setup he constantly gets an error. After some time the Airport doesnt even show up anymore. He has the latest utility 5.5.1. All he said was that an error shows up when the utility searches for the router. Again he is running Windows 7.

Connection: comcast internet to cable modem > to aiport extreme > to dell windows 7 computer.
    The light is blinking and the color is amber.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. apatel87 thread starter macrumors regular

Any suggestions? I really need this set up soon so if anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks!

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I recommend for first time setup and not maintenance, hardwiring into the Extreme with the computer you're configuring it from. If this is the existing configuration, I did not see it noted. If he gets kicked out of AirPort Utility or the Extreme disappears before he even finishes the setup and updates the settings, there could be something wrong with the Extreme. Couple ah-ha's to watch out for, make sure that the cable modem is connected to the WAN port, marked by the circle of dots, and that the Windows 7 machine is connected to a LAN port.

4. natewsmith macrumors regular

I had to buy a brand new one as well. I figured that the software update would download the new software but I had to install off the DVD that came with it. Not sure why that is but now everything is great.

You can configure it from ANY Computer. Just need to have the Utility like you say he does.

When he goes into the Airport it should instantly come up with the problem or problems it needs to fix in order to complete.

Usually they are DNS or DHCP or something like that.

Nate

5. apatel87 thread starter macrumors regular

My dad went to the Apple store and they confirmed that there wasnt anything wrong with the Airport Extreme. It worked right away there.
    Essentially the problem is that my dad can connect directly from the RCA modem supplied by Comcast to the main computer. However, when he usesthe router as the intermediary the Airport utility does not recognize the router being there. In addition, the ethernet out of the airport doesnt let the main computer work. Thus no wireless or wired connection.
    Surprisingly, a wired connection from the MODEM to another computer other than the main one doesnt work either. I tried it with another computer and that didnt work. So basically the modem only sends the connection directly to the main computer. It wont send it to the router or any other computers. Do you know what can be causing this. It sounds software related. Any help would be appreciated.

6. DataThief macrumors member

I have the Comcast Motorola modem myself and have no problems with it, don't know about any particularities with the RCA. But it sure sounds like the modem is set to only allow connections from one mac address (your main machine) and so is refusing other connections. Use your browser and check the settings on the RCA modem.

7. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran