help with Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GregE, Nov 4, 2010.

1. GregE macrumors 6502

I got my iPod Touch the other day and have been having problem connecting to the internet thru my network.

I have an Airport Extreme and can connect to it just fine. I know I am connecting because my Touch gets an IP address off of a Sonicwall firewall device that is handling my DHCP.

When I try to go on the internet I get an error saying I'm not connected or if I try to get the weather to update, I get an update failed message. I've tried different settings but no luck. I also took my Touch to work yesterday and connected to the wireless network there just fine and got on the internet.

Any ideas what I can do at home?

2. greentroop macrumors newbie

You may need to put your Airport Extreme in Bridge Mode.

It may be that your Airport extreme is attempting to hand out IP address as it normally would in DHCP mode. You might want to try putting it in "Bridge Mode". This way it will only pass on the IP address that your first device on the network hands out.
    You can put your Airport in Bridge mode by going to your Utilities folder and launching Airport Utility.
    Select the "Internet" tab at the top, and then select the "Internet Connection" below. Set your "Connection Sharing" to "Off (Bridge Mode)"
    Don't forget to then click on the "Update" button at the bottom. After your Airport extreme resets you will hopefully be able to connect.
    Below is a screenshot of the Airport setup window mentioned.

Attached Files:

3. GregE thread starter macrumors 6502

I checked my settings remotely and connection sharing is already off. Bummer.

Any other ideas?

4. GregE thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I figured it out so thought I would post in case anybody else is having the same problem.

I checked the log in my Sonicwall and it appears I am limited to 10 devices going thru my Sonicwall at 1 time. I had a message saying "License exceeded: Connection dropped because too many IP addresses are in use on your LAN". :eek: I made some changes, reduced the lease time, and cleaned up the leases and now I can get on the internet. :D

I'm going to have to check and see what all I have connecting and see if I can change any of those. I think the Airport Express gets an IP address. Maybe I can just give it a static address and then my Sonicwall won't count it. I only use the Sonicwall because of a VPN to my work so I will be able to remove it soon anyway. We are changing phone providers and going with a managed firewall so our VPN will just end up being a software client instead of a box.