Help with airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by duckie414, Apr 29, 2013.

1. duckie414 macrumors newbie

Strange problem: My airport extreme has a green light, the internet is working, but I cannot access the hardware from my airport utility. I have multiple harddrives connected directly to the AE with no problems for the past year, and for the last week I have been unable to connect. I have restarted the computer but am ambivelent to do a complete reset of the AE. Any suggestions of what the problem could be?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Did you try to connect with it while connected to it with a patch cable, if not try that first.

3. duckie414 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I have a newer computer and no ethernet jack. Is this what you mean?

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yeah, that's what I meant, unfortunately Apple decides it is a good idea to not include an internet port in some of their lineup.
    It's for cases like this where an ethernet port is needed.
    I know you can get cheap USB to ethernet adapters on Ebay, cheaper than Apple's thunderbolt to ethernet, they are slower though, 100 Mb instead of Gbit.

Edit: Ebay link http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=USB+to+ethernet&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR7.TRC2&_nkw=usb+to+ethernet+adapter&_sacat=0

5. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Not being able to access my Airport Extreme from the Airport Utility was the first symptom to my Extreme dying a horrible, premature death.

Eventually - in my case - I wasn't able to access the internet through the extreme despite it still displaying a green status light.

I would restart your Extreme as a troubleshooting step. I'd just verify no disk/network usage then just pull the plug on it for a few seconds.

After the restart, then check to see if you can connect to the Extreme via the Airport Utility.

6. 98EXL macrumors regular

Double check you aren't on the guest network.....dad was doing that this weekend by accident.