Help with Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 3425centennial, Jan 18, 2008.

1. 3425centennial macrumors newbie

Hi, I would appreciate help with the following: trying to install Airport Extreme 802.11n enabler on mac pro. Get this message: "You cannot install AirPort Extreme 802.11n Enabler on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." From my reading I gather I need to install Airport extreme update 2007-002. I download it but then get this:" You cannot install AirPort Extreme Update 2007-002 on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." This is a new computer running Leopold. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Try repairing permissions in the Disk Utility and then restarting.

3. Random Chaos macrumors member

That sounds like a standard error you get when trying to install an application that requires itself to write to system files on a volume that doesn't contain the system. Not sure why you would be getting that though.

4. 3425centennial thread starter macrumors newbie

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Are you sure it wasn't automatically enabled with the Leopard install? Check Network Utility to see if it's already enabled.

d4141_airportenabler_LM.png

6. 3425centennial thread starter macrumors newbie

Not enabled. I installed the card myself guided by previous threads in this forum. The card works perfectly with my current router.

7. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

Are you certain that you installed the card correctly and that it is the correct card?

We may be trying to cover a software issue that might be a hardware issue.

8. raymo960 macrumors newbie

I'm having exactly the same problem. I have a iMac 20" 2GHx Intel Core Duo. I've tried installing both the update and the enabler and get the hardware requirements error with both. I recently upgraded my machine to Leopard and wondering if these updates/enabler aren't compatible with Leopard.
    //Ray

9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The Intel Core Duo does not have an 802.11n chip in it, and it cannot be updated.

If you want to add 802.11n you will have to use an external USB dongle.

10. raymo960 macrumors newbie

Ah, that explains it. I guess I missed the "2" part in the hardware requirements part. Thanks!

11. PodPacker macrumors regular

PodPacker

Where did you get the airport N card?

I got my Mac from a third-party cuz it was way cheaper than the student discount, but I couldn't BTO/CTO. So I'm looking for an "n" card. Thanks guys.

12. AJ. macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have a MacBook Pro 2.16 Intel Core Duo, now I bought and installed a Aria Extreme Wireless N card, hoping to benefit from my 802.11n router.

I've installed the update "AirPort Extreme Update 2007-004" bought the Apple 802.11n enabler, but get the "Your computer does not meet the hardware requirements for this update." message.

Can anyone offer any advice please, as I was under the impression even though I have a core duo rather than a core 2 duo, with the upgraded card I should have everything needed to get 802.11n?

Many thanks.