Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samrulestothema

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
ok so ive made a airport wireless network for my flat mates to connect to the network to use the internet (modem is plugge into my imac)

but it says "uable to connect" they are on windows. can windows computers connect to a mac airport????

Cheeerrs :)
please get back to me soon

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
im a kiwi too :D:D
yeah i dont know why, but it wont let them connect, do you have any ideas??

perhaps you have the airport set up G/N, but the wireless card in their computer is B, try setting it up B/G.

Oh, and sorry. I'm not actually from New Zealand. It's upside down in support for the New Zealand black out that's in my signature.

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
if you are running WPA2 wireless protection, make sure the windows users have their wireless drivers updated. i know of several dell models that will not connect to WPA2 wireless unless you download the latest drivers.

also set the airport to use channel 1, 6 or 11. not 13. (apple gear supports channel 13, while usa gear is generally 1-11. this is country specific, but i know in Australia channel 13 is allowed, yet many windows pc's don't support this frequency.)

samrulestothema

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Ok so their laptops are XP, and manage to connect to the other ten networks in range. well at least bring up the "input password" window. with my network, nothing. just says cannot connect. i have no idea what ive done wrong, ive connected to my network with my wii before. and a friends iphone. why is windows so GAYMAX??

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
Ok so their laptops are XP, and manage to connect to the other ten networks in range. well at least bring up the "input password" window. with my network, nothing. just says cannot connect. i have no idea what ive done wrong, ive connected to my network with my wii before. and a friends iphone. why is windows so GAYMAX??

you really havn't given us much information, if we are to try and fix your issue.

did you look into my earlier suggestions?

are you using wireless encryption? if so, turn it off. can they now connect?
if they can't connect to an unsecured network, then it's probably a router or channel issue. if they can connect to your network when it's unsecured, then it's an issue with the type of security you are using, or the password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.