Help with an ipad 1

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ppfd, Apr 14, 2012.

1. ppfd macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2007
    West Virginia USA
    Sold an ipad 1 to an acquaintance.

I logged out of the my account on the ipad, I did a full wipe on itunes via my MBP, then installed 5.1 (previous OS 5.0 JB).

Friend emails me today and says he tried to install some apps and my account comes up!

I went into itunes on my MBP and it shows the ipad 1, I thought a full reinstall to a new OS would wipe all my info out. I did nothing other than shut the ipad 1 off when the new OS installed.

Is this something we can fix through his PC or am I going to have to drive 5 hours and fix this on my MBP?:(

2. Jimmy B macrumors newbie

Jimmy B

Feb 3, 2012
    Plug the iPad into his computer. Reset it to factory settings.
  3. ppfd thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2007
    West Virginia USA

That is what I advised him to do prior to asking. I'm waiting to hear back from him.
  4. Falk3n macrumors newbie

Apr 15, 2012

Reset all factory settings and you all good.. Also ask him to make a new itunes account
  5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Jul 17, 2008
    This happens if you restore an iPad while connected to a computer. All you have to do to "fix" it is sign out of the iTunes store account on the iPad. Since we now have "computer free" restore with iOS 5, doing "delete all setting and content" on an iPad without connecting to a computer is the best way to reset an iPad before passing it on to somebody else. That wipes everything from an iPad and brings it back to the "welcome" screen, from where the new owner can do the setup themselves.
  6. Sylon macrumors 68020

Feb 26, 2012
    Michigan/Ohio, USA

Thanks for the tip, as I'm about to sell mine.
  7. harlex macrumors member

Nov 23, 2011
    go into the iPad settings then general then at the bottom is reset and you then have different types of reset and do a full reset and it wipes it completely clean and back to factory settings.

There is no need to plug it into your computer.
  8. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

Mar 24, 2012
    Question please. Maybe I'm a bit slow but are you saying that although we can now wipe an iPad clean using the iPad alone ,is it possible to wipe an iPad to its new, out of the box state? My associate has not had any issues with an ipad2 I sold him that was wiped clean to a new state while plugged into my pc / iTunes.
    I did not use the ipad's setting to clear it off.