Help with an iPod touch 3rd Gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by googler321, Sep 3, 2011.

1. googler321 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, today my little brother came to me with a problem, I gave him my old 3rd gen iPod, since then, he's left it plugged in most of the time, using it basically as an authenticator for his games, so the battery's probably only lasting an hour, tops, without being plugged in. The off button doesn't function, also, but until now, that hasn't mattered at all. The problem is it seems to be stuck trying to boot up, the apple symbol, then it dies again, and goes back to the charging screen. I've heard of this before, and people simply reset it, but without the off button working, I don't think this is possible. Any suggestions? He's adamant that he wasn't updating or jailbreaking when this happened, and I have no idea...

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

The battery might be shot.

If you purchased an AppleCare agreement for your ipod touch 3G from Apple, you can have it serviced.

3. googler321 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I was foolish, and didn't. Can't I send it to apple, and they'll service it for a fee though? And isn't there stores that can do it for you too? And, in the interest of saving money, do you know if you can do it yourself? I'm pretty keen on technology, and I'd love to bust it open and have a look, it's out of warranty and not working, so I don't see the harm...

4. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Apple will definently service it for a fee. If not Apple, an AASP will.

There are some instances where users were able to replace the battery, but it can be complicated and time consuming since the battery is integrated into the casing. You could try it. Do a web search for some tutorials.