Help with an old iMac please?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SaiBon, Aug 13, 2010.

1. SaiBon macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I recently dropped my laptop down the stairs and at the moment can't afford a new one. So I've been given an old mac to see if I can get it online to use for now (I'm using my iPhone at the moment). I'm told this is a iMac g3, perhaps someone could confirm that for me..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has two problems with it that I would like to know how to fix if it's possible. Firstly, after a lightning strike the Ethernet port stopped working. Is it possible to replace this as I would like to use an Ethernet cable to plug straight into my router.. I've ordered a wireless reciever for now to see if it will connect that way but with only 2 USB ports I'd rather use Ethernet.

The other problem is that everytime I switch it on it resets back to december 1969!!! Is there a clock battery somewhere in it that I could replace and again, if so how would I do it?

I know a lot of you will be thinking it's too old to bother with but for now I just want to get online until I can afford something better.. Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

You could perhaps get a USB-ethernet adapter together with a cheap USB hub.

There's almost certainly a clock battery in there that needs to be exchanged. I do not know where though.

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yes, it is. Lovely colour, by the way.

I don't know. There are a lot of Mac users out there with the older hardware - the Cubes (2000), old iMacs, PowerBooks...if they still work, there's no need to replace.

4. Vylen macrumors 65816

Strawberry (or is it Ruby?) slot-loading iMac G3 ;)

If it turns on and works - use it for now.

5. Thermonuclear macrumors 6502

It's a 400 MHz Ruby G3 iMac.

The Ethernet port and its interface electronics are soldered to the motherboard. Most likely, you'd have to replace the entire board. Note that there are USB Ethernet adapters available, but it's not clear that they would work with the USB 1.1 that's on your iMac.

Your iMac has a wireless option. An original Apple 802.11b AirPort card can fit into the base of the machine next to the memory SIMMs. But it needs a hard-to-find iMac G3 specific adapter card.

There is a 3.6 volt 1/2 AA battery in a holder that's mounted to the motherboard; it keeps track of the date, time, and other useful data when the machine is unplugged. The battery has a five year life and your iMac is ten years old; do the math.

6. SaiBon thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks for the quick response! It is a lovely colour isn't it..:D you know what they say though, beggers can't be choosers and all that!

I hadn't considered a USB-Ethernet cable but even if I did that I would still be loosing one of my only 2 usb's..What is a USB hub? Sorry..

If I don't get the Ethernet working or the clock battery replaced but I do get it online, is there a way to set the time and date from the Internet rather than the built in clock??

7. SaiBon thread starter macrumors newbie

Is the airport card easy to install if I managed to source one? Sorry, didn't see your post until after I'd posted my reply..

8. Thermonuclear macrumors 6502

A USB hub plugs into a USB port and in turn has two or more USB ports for other USB peripherals.

If you leave the iMac plugged in all the time, it may remember the date and time without a battery.

The Mac OS/X Date/Time System Preferences panel has an option for setting the clock via the net. But a net connection must first be in place and in some cases, the battery-backed data also needs to be there first. It really is better to replace the battery. A new battery, a few tools, a take-apart guide (do a search), and some reasonable care are all that's needed to make repairs.

9. Thermonuclear macrumors 6502

The AirPort card is easy to install. But finding the special G3 iMac AirPort card adapter can be a significant quest.

10. SaiBon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much, I will do a search on how to replace the battery and I'll order one. A USB hub sounds like just what I need, thanks for explaining, sorry I'm a bit of a dumbass when it comes to computers and such...

11. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I can't remember what the battery is called, but it is one that just stores all the standard system information so its always available and ready on boot.

You cant fix the Ethernet port, it's part of the logic board.

Normally its easy enough to source parts such as the airport card from ebay.

12. SaiBon thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, I found loads of the airport cards on eBay but not the special adaptor bit.. I think I will go down the USB hub route with wireless reciever thing!

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

It is generally referred to as the CMOS battery, which keeps the time etc. It is advised that the OP attempts to reset the PRAM, etc before hand, as this worked for my dads computer.

That is the best way, but be advised that compatibility is VERY fishy depending on what operating system you are running. I would recommend that you run OSX Tiger 10.4.11, as this will ensure the best compatibility with everything.

Also, I think it's mentioned, but you can get direct USB to Ethernet adaptors, rather then using a wireless USB dongle. Something to think about.

14. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Thats the one! Resetting the PRAM and SMC always seem to sort many issues.

15. SaiBon thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I reset the PRAM??

If I use a USB to Ethernet to plug into my router will it just hook straight ip to the Internet or will there be some sort of set up I will need to do? I've never used a mac before, only ever used windows.

16. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Does the machine boot? Do you know what version of the OS it has?

17. SaiBon thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the machine works other than the Ethernet and the date clock.. I just clicked 'about this mac' and it says

Mac OS X
    Version 10.3.9

18. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

19. SaiBon thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for those links. I can't find a command or option button on my keyboard (it's a wireless Microsoft one) so I can't reset the PRAM until I get a keyboard with these buttons... Off to eBay now to look for one.

20. Vylen macrumors 65816

Command = Windows Key
    Option = Alt...

[EDIT]Or maybe it's the other way round... i can't remember lol[/EDIT]

Well, try that anyway before you spend unnecessarily :p

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you are correct in those recommendations :)

22. SaiBon thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah right, thanks for that. I'll give it a go... :eek:

23. SaiBon thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, that didn't work. The mac isn't giving power to the wireless keyboard until a split second before the grey screen comes on. Then the split second it takes for the receiver to connect with the actual keyboard means I am just a second too late to press the buttons.. I've tried a few times and it's not having it. Looks like I'll have to get a USB (wired) keyboard and try again..

24. SaiBon thread starter macrumors newbie

I called a mate who I know uses a mac to ask if he has a spare USB keyboard I could borrow.. After explaining my situation he said he has an iMac g4 that he could sell to me. It has OS X 10.2.8 on it and everything works as it should.. I have a few questions - is £60 a good price with this version of software installed.

Also, I would like to be able to connect my iPhone to it but the apple website says I need mac os x 10.4.11 or later. Is this easy to upgrade to and how much does it cost? He said I can't jump that far and would have to install each version inbetween, is this correct?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't have a clue! Lol

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

£60 seems alright, can you give us some more specs? GHz/RAM/HDD/model etc?

it's likely that the G4 can support Leopard (10.5.8) at the latest, though it would run a tiny bit slow on their, so 10.4.11 (Tiger) would be recommended for best performance.

these OS's might be a bit hard to get a hold of though.. so check eBay etc.