Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
About a week after I got my machine, upon restart, the fans ramped up to full blast and the CPU monitor's were pegged. So I went into Activity Monitor and saw a process called "dnetc" taking up like 200% of the CPU (how that's possible I don't know). So I force quit the process and everything functions A-OK.

I go into spotlight to try and find "dnetc," and also try to go into the folder where the Info button says it is located, but cannot find it.

Attached some screenshots, any help would be most welcome, this is starting to get annoying. :D

Image-9A51E9A2004911DA.jpg

Image-9A51FD32004911DA.jpg

Image-9A520AF2004911DA.jpg

Image-9A5217FE004911DA.jpg

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
What kind of files are in ~/Documents/.dnetc ? How many? What kind? What contents? What have you installed?

EDIT:

Apparently this is part of "distributed net". Do you have some sort of file sharing app (kazaa-like) running? Maybe part of folding?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I think it's something related to "distributed networking". Do you fold? Could this be part of that installation?

BTW - "garybooberry"? :p

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I did install folding, and thought that was the culprit, so I did a Spotlight search for everything folding related and removed it, but it still auto loads and I can't find the file.

:rolleyes:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Here's a quick and dirty way to remove it..

Open up Terminal, type (or copy & paste)

rm -rf ~/Documents/.dnetc

Bye bye .dnetc directory. But I'm not that familiar with launchd yet, so I don't know how much time it'll waste trying to launch dnetc for folding (assuming it is from folding). You might want to look at the folding site for better instructions on removal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.