Help with Apple TV & Multiple Routers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kanewarwick, Jan 13, 2009.

1. kanewarwick macrumors newbie

Hi. My question may already have been answered elsewhere, though I'm not sure if my circumstances require a different answer. In any case here's the situation.

1. I have DSL into my house (it's bundled with phone and digital TV using a Motorola box). My wife and I work in a barn 100 feet away, so I have a simple Cat 9 cable going from the house to the barn.

2. The cable is connected to a router. One line goes to my wife's computer and the other goes to an Apple Airport wireless unit downstairs, where I am. By the way, she doesn't get a strong enough signal upstairs to use the wireless, nor does the signal carry as far as the house. Nonetheless, everything works fine as is. (We both have Mac laptops.)

3. Now, I thought it would be good to set up a second router in the house. I have a new digital TV (Samsung) to which I would like to add an Apple TV unit (with Internet connection), and, in addition, it would be convenient to have wireless in the house in general. So I got a Belkin wireless router and hooked it up (there was a convenient connector I was already using for the cable running from the house to the barn).

4. The Belkin router worked fine, but, as I feared, it interfered with the Internet in the barn. (The Belkin is the first router on the line.) I had to disconnect the Belkin and re-set the DSL Motorola router to get Internet back. So, right now there's no Internet in the house, but there is in the barn.

5. So, the question is, is it possible to have two routers in this situation, and if so, how would I go about setting it up? If I need to, I could switch between Internet in the house and barn, rather than having them working simultaneously, since we're usually in one place or the other. But, if there's a way to have both functioning at the same time, that would be ideal.

I hope that's sufficient information. Thanks for any advice you might have. (As you can see, I'm a bit new at this.)

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

what kind is the router in the barn? take a look at DD-WRT it can help you set up a router as an access point, and not a router.

or just get a switch for the barn (under $30), if you have the router in the house, there's no need to have another in the barn. just plug your internet into the router in the house, and put every thing else into one of the LAN ports on that.

so
    DSL -> Belkin -> switch(in barn) -> airport & wired
    DSL -> Belkin -> wireless (in house) -> :apple:TV

3. kanewarwick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Many thanks for that. The router in the barn is fairly old, so I think I'll go with the switch. It sounds like a simple solution.

Thanks again!