Help with applecare and masafe adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Robg54, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Robg54 macrumors member

I have had my macbook pro since about september. Recent;y I noticed that there is wire exposed on my power adapter. It is right at the point where the small chord meets the box. I have never used this in a strenuous way or wound it too tightly. I have had it les than half a year and it's breaking.

I went in to the apple store Tuesday to get it replaced as I suspected it was dangerous. The lady said I coud get it replaced, but I needed to see a Genius first, and the next appointment was on thirsday. It annoyed me that they wanted me to use a power adapter that may be dangerous for 2 days.

So I went back yesterday and the lady who does the scheduling told me I wouldn't get a warranty replacement because it was physical damage. So I left and am going to my appointment with the genius today.

Who is right? Am I going to be able to get the replacement? Is there anything I can say or do that will increae my chances?

2. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Hmm.. I'm not exactly sure what to say but I don't believe that it is physical damage. Have you tried calling applecare and seeing if they can send you a replacement. I was in a similar situation like yours a couple months back. I went to the genius bar and showed them the problem. They didn't have any replacements there at the time so they told me to call applecare and they would send a replacement in the mail, then I had to send my broken one back. There wasn't really any problems. Try calling applecare and see if they can send you one back.

-JoE

3. sjb macrumors regular

I think they will replace it for free. There are several reports (search google) of this happening with the magsafe connectors. Just explain your situation nicely and I'm sure it'll get resolved.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Mine melted through partially exposing some wires, Apple replaced it with no hassle at all.

Frankly the Magsafe has a design flaw which causes these problems, if they don't replace it serious questions can be asked.

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

you just need to use the right words on the phone like "this is a fire hazard" and "i'm worried about getting shocked when I turn on the computer" and "do most apple products show bare wires with minimal use" and "I have posted about this issue on message boards and see that this is fairly common" and "i took some pictures of it - i'm thinking of posting them on digg"

Those should work :)

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You should go the store to get it replaced. Doing it on the phone requires you to wait (for CSR and a replacement)

7. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

It should be replaced-- the reason you have to see a genius is because it will be replaced with a service part, which they need to process.

8. pazreal macrumors regular

My friend got his replaced in store. If you have multiple stores in your area maybe cal around to see who has one to give you.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have had two of my magsafe's replaced... One of them at the store, the other I went to the store, refused to replace it (I really wasn't in the mood for arguing)...called Apple Care and they replaced it saying that it's "hard to cause physical damage to the power brick without cutting the wire or splitting the brick in half" My guess as to why the latter one was hesitated with was because someone had stepped on one of the white brackets that is used to store the cable with....

10. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I'm having the same issue. I'm going to the Apple store next week and I really hope they replace it. My MBP is less than 4 months old.

11. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    My school's gotten several replaced; in fact, the replacement ones seem to have thicker cables, at least to me.